http://www.diveheart.org/

Since we're in the donating mood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I thought since we're in the mood for donating money to good causes that I would post one that I think needs attention.

www.peta.org (people for the ethical treatment of animals)

If you don't think that it's all that bad or that organisations like this just play on our tender sensibilities then click on the link and convince yourself otherwise.

"The greatness of a nation and it's Moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." -- Mahatma Ghandi

Become aware and become part of the solution.

R..

There are tremendous abuses of animals that occur and should not. Most of us don't know about them -- for example, chickens that are kept in chicken-sized cages for their entire lifetimes of egg production. Horses that are transported for slaughter, trying to balance themselves in trucks on broken legs. Ranches where dozens of animals are founding starving. The list goes on.

But PETA is an organization I can't support. Their charter is not just things that we would all consider to be abusive and unconscionable. They oppose essentially ALL medical or scientific research involving animals. A vocal segment feels that riding horses is cruelty. They are proponents of legal "rights" for animals, which would open a tremendous Pandora's box of nightmares for the owners of animals of all sorts.

There are very good humane societies and rescue operations which are rational and reasonable on the subject of animal ownership and use, and I prefer to support them.

What will the money be used for?

We already have laws in this country that protect animals. In my county, there was a conviction this week of a guy that shot a dead squirrel. Animal waste was the charge IIRC.
I'm all for the humane treatment of animals, but PETA is another political organization that uses terrorist tactics and has the ultimate goal of perpetuating it's own existence.

http://brianoconnor.typepad.com/animal_crackers/2004/02/petas_terrorist.html

Mmmmmmmmmmm People Eating Tasty Animals ......MMMMMMMMM. Nothing better than eating a ribeye steak while wearing my leather jacket.

wellllll...

while i believe that animals should not be treated with cruelty, i can't support
PETA's mission.

we kill animals for food and hides, and we need animals to do serious
scientific research. i understand that as moral beings we should be compassionate
and not cause undue pain to animals, but ... PETA takes it much too far

You were kidding...right?

"We feel that animals have the same rights as retarded children."

-Alex Pacheco, Director, PETA, New York Times, January 14, 1989.

"The life of an ant and that of my child should be granted equal consideration."

-Michael W. Fox, Vice President, The Human Society of the United States, The Inhumane Society, New York, 1990.

Regan when asked which he would save, a dog or a baby, if a boat capsized in the ocean: "If it were a retarded baby and a bright dog, I'd save the dog."

-Tom Regan, Q&A session following a speech, University of Wisconsin-Madison, October 27, 1989.

Six million Jews died in concentration camps, but six billion broiler chickens will die this year in slaughter houses."

-Ingrid Newkirk, President, PETA, The Washington Post, November 13, 1983.

"It is time we demand an end to the misguided and abusive concept of animal ownership. The first step on this long, but just, road would be ending the concept of pet ownership."

-Elliot Katz, President, In Defense of Animals, "In Defense of Animals," Spring 1997

"Let us allow the dog to disappear from our brick and concrete jungles -- from our firesides, from the leather nooses and chains by which we enslave it."

-John Bryant, Fettered Kingdoms: An Examination of A Changing Ethic, PETA, 1982, p.15.

"The cat, like the dog, must disappear..... We should cut the domestic cat free from our dominance by neutering, neutering, and more neutering, until our pathetic version of the cat ceases to exist."

-John Bryant, Fettered Kingdoms: An Examination of a Changing Ethic, PETA 1982, p.15.

From huntersunite.com:

In a 1992 report by the NCIB, National Charities Investigation Bureau, PETA spent 42% of its organizational expenses on fundraising. Only 20% on actual research and investigation in to animal cruelty.
More current reports examining PETA's tax filings have shown as little as 1% of PETA's total revenue actually goes directly to helping animals; usually small donations to animal clinics or similar organizations. PETA's 2001 tax filings show some interesting donations:
Compassion Unlimited Plus Action - Bangalore - Donation - $11.11
PETA Research & Education Foundations - Donations $29.16
In Defense of Animals - Donation $71.11
Virginia Police Defense Fund, Norfolk Police Union - Donation - $150
Society for Abolition of Animal Exploitation - Donation - $150
Kalamazoo Animal Liberation League - Donation - $150
Vieques Humane Society - Donation - $25
SNAP - Donation - $50,000
PETA's donations totaled only $206,655.58, but they had a total revenue of almost $14 Million.

PETA spent the following on

PETA TV - Expense - $13,268.84
Electronic equipment, computers, cameras - Expense- $33,869.24
Automobiles - Expense - $148,362.02
SNAP Vehicle - Expense - $150,000.00
Buildings and improvements - Expense - $295,101.60 (After a $195,000 donation of property)
Land - Expense - 94,170.00

Is this where you want your donations to go?

H2Andy:
PETA takes it much too far

Maybe you're right.... I think this might fall into the category of every action having an equal and opposite reaction. Peta is extreme but look what they're up against...

When you see how we as a race treat other living beings you'd almost think it's scandalous that the words "human" and "humane" are even under the same letter of the alphabet.

Perhaps you (and the other anti Peta folks) could suggest an organisation making progress on the issues that people would feel more comfortable supporting....

R..

Back
Top Bottom