Tips for spotting float line in bad vis?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ClassAction

Reaction score
I dive on the east coast (near Boston) where the water is on the chilly side and we have a party if there is more than 10 feet of vis. For shore dives, you need to tow a flag (by law). I've been experimenting for a few years with different set ups for the flag, particlularly the line, but haven't found something I like yet. The problem? It's hard to spot the line to the flag from even a few feet away and I keep losing the darn thing!

I have the "high-vis" yellow float line on the big plastic reel/contraption. Pro: somewhat visible from a few feet away. Con: it's bulky and cumbersome. I've also tried using a spool with normal white line. Pro: easier to reel in; small. Con: nearly impossible to spot the line.

Any suggestions? I was thinking about getting a cheapo reel with some yellow line to things easier. But I'm stilling trying to figure out a way to make the line more visible. Anyone ever try attaching a strobe to the line? Does this make a difference in daylight? How about attaching a line cookie or maybe some sort of high vis streamer just a few feet off the bottom? I'm all ears if someone has a better idea...

Thanks...

Well, if you are towing the line, it's no problem; if you are fixing the line someplace, you can surface when you think you are near, and dive on the spool to retrieve it. This is assuming the dives in question aren't so aggressive that you can't dive to retrieve the spool, and that the spool is tied off rather shallow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom