http://www.diveheart.org/

Encourage Congress to act

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deeper thoughts

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Thousands of pets were left behind in the wake of Hurricane Katrina: trapped in empty houses, stranded on rooftops above the flood waters, wandering alone through deserted streets.

Our new eCards tell their stories. And by sending one of these cards today, you can help ensure that no pet is ever left behind again when disaster strikes.

The U.S. Senate is considering the Pets Evacuation and Transportation Standards (PETS) Act, which would require that pets and service animals are included in disaster evacuation plans.

Please help us get this law passed today. Send one of our moving eCards to your friends and family and urge them to take action. Each card tells the touching story of a pet rescued by The Humane Society of the United States after Hurricane Katrina.

http://gateway.hsus.org/ecards/

deeper thoughts:
Thousands of pets were left behind in the wake of Hurricane Katrina: trapped in empty houses, stranded on rooftops above the flood waters, wandering alone through deserted streets.

That implies that the pet owners evacuated and left their pets. You want the taxpayers to fund an evacuation because pet owners won't take personal responsibility?

Pets are like family members and should be treated as such. Can't this be managed by responsible people without the need of a law?

Some pet owners were not allowed to take their pets with them. It wasn't a choice.

Jcsgt:
Some pet owners were not allowed to take their pets with them. It wasn't a choice.

Pet owners should be allowed to evacuate their pets. That's just wrong. Was it because of a a rule or law?

Not allowed to take at the last minute or after the fact they were warned to leave and choose not to?

TheRedHead:
Pet owners should be allowed to evacuate their pets. That's just wrong. Was it because of a a rule or law?
If I recall correctly, the emergency transportation services (buses, helicopter, etc.) refused to take the animals along with the owners.

Here in Monroe County when people have to evacuate PETS ARE NOT ALLOWED IN THE SHELTERS, so some have no other choice but to leave them. Therefore the answer is yes I do want congress to pass a law.

Jcsgt:
If I recall correctly, the emergency transportation services (buses, helicopter, etc.) refused to take the animals along with the owners.

You are 100% correct. Some people were standing in line waiting to get on buses with their pet and were told they could take their pet with them. They were told pets would be collected and taken to safety. In many instances this never happened. Others simply abandonned their pet.

L

deeper thoughts:
Here in Monroe County when people have to evacuate PETS ARE NOT ALLOWED IN THE SHELTERS, so some have no other choice but to leave them. Therefore the answer is yes I do want congress to pass a law.

I wonder what the consequences would be if a lot of pets were cooped up together in a shelter?

Back
Top Bottom