Please share your opinions about ScubaPro and AquaLung product quality.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ppatrick

Reaction score
Hi all,

I’m thinking about buying my own BC and regulator. I went to a few LDS in my area and narrowed it down to ScubaPro KnightHawk with MK25S600 and AquaLung SeaQuest Malibu with Titan LX. Their prices are pretty close but I don’t know about their quality. ScubaPro seems to use better quality materials. However the AquaLung products seem to require less maintenance (one of the AquaLung salespersons told me that the AquaLung regulator needs to be inspected only every other year). That could save me hundreds of dollars over the long run.

I’m hesitating and don’t know which one to go with. If you ever used any ScubaPro or AquaLung products, please share your opinions. I would like to know if you’re impressed (or dislike) them.

Thank you,

I have the Aqualung Titan LX, and I'm very happy with the purchase. The regs have been down to 130 feet and have performed well in warm and cold water (except for one freeflow, and we're still not sure why that happened, and that was on an Apeks second stage). I think it's very good value for the money.

I've never had a complaint of any aqualung gear. I've owned 4 USD reg, 2 BCs, countless other gear. Although I never have used any, all the people I've talked to love their Scubapro equipment. They are 2 of the top brands, and 2 of the longest in the business. You can't go wrong with either 1.

Regarding the warranties, read the fine print! For example, if you miss a scheduled service, you lose the free parts for life, etc.

These regulators are great pieces of engineering and worth the price. However, I believe the warranties (of these makes) to be protectionist and ultimately expensive. For others, it may be a bargain. Read the catch-22's before you decide.

All the best, James

I don't like AL for various reasons, mostly political. I like SP regs. I could be wrong, but I have always had the impression SP easier to have repaired in remote locations.
("free-for-life"....whose life, mine or yours?!")
Also, consider kit cost for servicing when calculating costs.

Warranties, IMV pretty worthless, in most locations I have been.

ppatrick:
(one of the AquaLung salespersons told me that the AquaLung regulator needs to be inspected only every other year). That could save me hundreds of dollars over the long run.

Be leary of a salesman 'trying to make a sale'. This is not 100% true.

The Aqualung 'warranty requirement' says that your regulator must be inspected annually and overhauled every other year for the "free parts agreement". This is for if you dive only 50 dives a year or less (average wear and tear). If you dive more than 50 dives per year, it's a different story.

What they do is actually only provide you 'free parts' every other year. You still have to pay for the service/inspection costs (labor). So it's not any cheaper than other vendors that have 'free parts' programs. He's not saving you any money. It's just an Aqualung salesperson trying to ring up another sale. In reality, if you dive more than 50 dives a year and you need overhaul every year with Aqualung, then you have to pay for the parts out of your own pocket. So in reality, it could cost you "more money" than some other brands that offer "free parts" every year. It's deceptive the way he told it to you.

Also, Aqualung dealers are not required to take part in the "free parts" program, so your Aqualung dealer sitll might charge you for parts reqardless. It also does not cover all parts. There are some parts that if they require replacement you have to pay for them 100%

I just wanted you to look at the "whole truth" and not what the Aqualung sales person was trying to "feed" you.

Feel free to read their "fine print" on what is really covered by Aqualung.
http://www.aqualung.com/product_warranties_reg_free.html

Both Aqualung and ScubaPro products are good and you should be happy with either regulator that you listed. however, like Catherine, I don't like either of the companies, especially Aqualung, but for their corporate politics and not their products. Because of this I couldn't reccomend spending $$$ to support either of these companies, especially Aqualung.

I get extremely annoyed with the fine print "if this, if that...over X under z". Forget it.

it's just deceptive marketing by Aqualung. In reality they only give you free parts every other year. If you want them every year you have to pay for it.

Like I said, I don't like their coporate politics and wouldn't reccomend anyone spending money to support this company. it's a shame because their products are good, it's just their coprorate managemant that I've found dissappointment in.

Hello,

Thanks for your opinion. I just visited my other thread and one guy mentioned that some dive shops would do the annual inspection for free if you buy a BC and regulator from them. Is that common? I’m living in Chicago area. If anyone knows such a shop, please let me know. I’ll buy their BC and regulator (even if they only give me free inspection for the first five years). :)

Thanks,

Every shop is different. I've never heard of a shop doing that (free inspections). but it makes sense if they are trying to get your business.

However, you also might want to see what's included with the inspection. Is it just a visual check or does it include labor to fix problems? my auto shop gives free brake inspections, but that is just a way to get your car on the rack. If the inspection shows something, you pay to get it fixed.

As for the "free" included in the purchase, here's an example I see more often.
Example. you can buy a tank in south florida or any 'high volume' shop for about $110 to $135. In the smaller shops that do lower volume, expect $165 for one (AL80). To offset the higher price, I see some shops offer something like '10 free air fills' for paying extra for that more expensive tank. It offsets their higher cost to make it reasonable. It also ensures repeat business as if you comd in for 10 air fills, you'll most likely buy other stuff while there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom