Anyone know of any good wrecks off the California Coast?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, CD! You might want to check out the California Wreck Divers website to get an idea what is out there...
Over Labor Day weekend, I went on a trip from a local dive shop to the wreck of the Star of Scotland, about 2 miles off of the Santa Monica pier. What's it like? Green, dark, cold (57 degrees at depth!) but interesting. Covered with anemones and scallops. Big kelp bass and schools of blacksmith. It wasn't that deep, but it was very disorienting.

Wreck Alley in San Diego of course!

I only dived on the Yukon and Ruby E once each, but am heading down there in a few weeks to finish my wreck certification. Blue Escape and Lois Ann are two charters that hit the wrecks - I dived with Blue Escape, which was a nice boat and great crew.

Haven't dived them yet, but have heard of a string of WWI-era destroyers which ran aground and sank somewhere around the Lompoc area (Point Conception?). Obviously, they're fairly shallow.

Truth Aquatics occasionally goes out there, I believe, and also visits the wrecks of the Gosford and the SM-1 nearer to Santa Barbara. None of these involve extensive penetration, from what I've heard.

.... about the kelp forests too.

But I second bengiddins vote for San Diego. The Yukon is great. Lots to see, easy penetration... didn't see any, but I heard there are maps inside the wreck for orientation. Big enough to spend a few dives there.

Ken

Yea, San Diego is great. I also like to dive the USS Hogan near the Mexican border. Go to www.divebums.com and check out their info and dive reports...

kelpmermaid once bubbled...
Hi, CD! You might want to check out the California Wreck Divers website to get an idea what is out there...
Over Labor Day weekend, I went on a trip from a local dive shop to the wreck of the Star of Scotland, about 2 miles off of the Santa Monica pier. What's it like? Green, dark, cold (57 degrees at depth!) but interesting. Covered with anemones and scallops. Big kelp bass and schools of blacksmith. It wasn't that deep, but it was very disorienting.

great site, great information, next time i dive in California i will contact them

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom