Is this a good deal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
First off, I've been certified for several years, but for different reasons (location, mild college-induced poverty), I haven't been able to get into diving. I'm in grad school now, and still fairly poor, but I moved from Dallas to Tampa, so diving is much more accessible now.

I've got a line on some used gear, and I was wondering if this sounded like a decent deal or if I might as well try to get something newer off Ebay. It's a Sherwood Magnum II regulator and a Sherwood Minimus octo, plus a Suunto Companion Computer. It's about 4 years old, but the guy says it hasn't been used much, and he's asking $250. I've done a little research and it seems like an alright deal, but a review on the computer said it was pretty much limited to no stop dives. I don't know that much about computers vs. guages and how much of an advantage they really are (especially a basic one like this one), and I'm not sure about paying anything for a setup I'll want to replace really soon. I do have a boyfriend I'm trying to get certified though, so if I outgrow thiss stuff I can hand it down to him.

Anyone have any input on this deal?

Personally I wouldn't go for it but that's primarily due to concerns about buying used life support equipment. If you do decide to purchase the gear I would strongly recommend having it serviced by your LDS. Regs and octos should both be serviced annually regardless of the amount of use they've had. O-rings have a tendency to break down over time and the last thing you want to do is dive equipment which may fail at depth.

I'm assuming that you mean the computer is limited to diving within NDLs. If that's the case I wouldn't worry too much about that factor. Unless you're planning on getting into tech diving you shouldn't be doing deco dives. If you are planning on tech diving I'd definitely wait and buy new, high quality gear.

For about $600 you could put together a decent reg, octo, spg, and bottom timer. You wouldn't have the computer but you could certainly dive tables (not a bad idea anyway) with a bottom timer. It wouldn't be top-of-the-line gear but it'd be decent stuff backed by manufacturer's warranties.

Jason

I agree with K.......if money is a factor....start saving...get new. Get new ESPECIALLY if money is a factor because you get zip guarntee ...warrantee with used gear...and when it dies on you on the first dive....you still have to replace it again--if you are alive to do so.

Get computer and regs from an lds.....bc you can get anywhere (except ebay...I just dont trust that place.)

I don't think that's a very good deal. That's pretty old gear, and you can get equivalent new stuff for barely anything more than that.

Okay, thanks guys. I just didn't want it to get away if it was something that would be worth going for. With all the gear out there it also appealed to me to grab something and not worry about reading endless reviews trying to pick just the right stuff. But you're right, I should just be patient and get better stuff later. I just want to get in the water. :D

I can certainly understand wanting to get in the water! You might want to consider renting equipment for a bit before buying. That way you have an opportunity to try out different equipment and see what you like. If your LDS has a good selection you can try different brands and different setups. Good luck and happy diving!

Jason

Used gear can be a good deal, but sometimes it isn't. I think used regs in particular have to be a really great deal to make it worthwhile, since you will want to get them checked and serviced before using them and that will cut a big chunk out of any savings right away. (If it's a brand that includes ongoing free parts for the original owner, that's more you will pay every year.) So figure out the longer term bottom line for something new vs. used (service costs, possibility of replacing it, value of having a warrenty) then decide if the up front cost is the most important thing to you right now.

I don't quite agree with "never buy used life support" - after all, all gear is used once it's been in the water, and rentals are certainly used. It's true you don't know how it's been treated but some sources are better bets than others, and a reg that's been overhauled should be pretty much good as new. But I personally wouldn't buy a used reg unless I really wanted some model that wasn't made anymore, or it was an amazing deal from someone I knew. It's a little different for people for whom acquiring closets full is another hobby, especially those that service their own regs.

Yeah i gotta say i got no problem with used regs. I got a full setup (primary, secondary, octo, gauges) off this board for $125 or something like that. All good brand name stuff (aqualung titan regs) and while many people will try to tell you you need $1000 regs i love my El Cheapo used setup. I got completely geared up minus tanks for under $1000. Only thing i've replaced in a year and 150 or so dives are my fins.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom