Apeks ATX200 or Aqualung Legend LX ACD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pugsly55

Registered
Reaction score
I am partial to Aqualung, but don't know which regulator to purchase. I am looking for a reg to meet my current demands (recreational, diving all winter long in cold water) and future ones (have cavern cert and would like to progress to full cave; ice diving). Any thoughts on the advantages/disadvantages of these two regs? Thanks.

They are both very good. In fact they are very similar. I would check around your area and see if there are shops that service both brands. You don't want to purchase a reg that you can't get serviced. That said, I would personally buy the Apeks. I wouldn't turn down a Legend though.

I do not know much about the new Aqualungs-though I have heard good things about them by a trusted source, but I do know Apeks. Apeks is a good brand, I have been diving them for a few years and they are top performers. Scott has a good point about service issues, make sure you have a local shop to get it serviced.

A lot of shops do carry both lines but some don't. I would ask first. A shop that carries Aqua Lung/US Divers can probably get parts for an Apeks but I would double check.

Aqualung owns Apeks, however, not all Aqualung dealers are Apeks dealers. (though many are).

You should be fine with either reg.

If you choose the AL Legend LX, you might consider the Legend LX Supreme since you plan cold and ice water diving. It's actually the same regulator but it's set up for colder water with a lower intermediate pressure. But it also has a nice 'mouthpiece guard' that comes with it which keeps your lips a little warmer. It's removeable for warmer water diving. It basically is a rubber guard that gives your lips something press up against underwater which helps slightly with the cold in the colder water situations. Other than the lipguard, the intermediate pressure change (lowered to 130psi for colder water), and a few cosmetic changes (silver ring on front and snowflake molded in plastic), it's the EXACT same reg. They charge about $10-$15 bucks more for the Supreme though.

Apeks ATX 200 is good performance reg

Pugsly,
No doubt you have been bombarded with info. regarding regs. Everyone has an opinion. Was recently in your same spot when I came across Salvo regs. They are heavy duty work horse regs. Price is outstanding. I just dove them for the last week in and around the Florida Keys and took them as deep as 147fsw and they worked as easily and comfortably as they did on the boat.They are DIN but work great with an adaptor. Check them out. Salvo has a website or check out Laughing Blenny. And NO, I dont work for them or know anyone who does-no kickbacks for me-just am familiar with your situation as I was looking at the exact same 2 regulators you are looking at!
My dive buddy dives Aqualung Legend Supremes on his primarys and has Apeks on his deco bottles and I have used them both. Like my Salvos hands down! Good luck.
Feel free to PM me if you need any specifics.

Rubicon

Pugsly55:
I am partial to Aqualung, but don't know which regulator to purchase. I am looking for a reg to meet my current demands (recreational, diving all winter long in cold water) and future ones (have cavern cert and would like to progress to full cave; ice diving). Any thoughts on the advantages/disadvantages of these two regs? Thanks.

I have been diving the Legend LX Supreme now for just about 2.5 years (300 or so dives) I love them and bet my life on them every time.

I went to using some of the new XTX200s about 2 mos ago (30 dives on them now) and I bet my life on them too!

Either set will do you fine. They are THE top of the line regulators on the market today and you CANNOT go wrong with either set.

Cheers

Pugsly55:

Jon Bennett took the Apeks TX100 to 308m. In the Philippines, it's true, but at that depth it makes no odds temperature-wise.

The TX100 was the precursor to the ATX100, in turn the predecessor to the ATX200. It's a sterling reg.

I'm sure either will do you, but I can vouch for the Apeks personally (the LX was one of 7 top-end regs I tried before buying the ATX200). Not much in it, really, but to me the Apeks seemed just to edge it.

BTW, my octo's an ATX50 and no, I don't work for them.

'Nuff said (by me, anyway):D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom