Depreciation of High End Regulators ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

7milehi

Contributor
Reaction score
After scouring over many threads on the good and bad points of numerous higher end regulators there little mention of resale value. As one poster put it , when you get to the upper end regs its usually just a matter of what brand you prefer. I tend to agree because I think the performance differences between them is rather small. That being said , which top end (retail over $500) regs hold their value the best over a 3-5 year span. Is one brand or model known for high resale value or is there a brand or model that sinks like a lead weight in resale value ?

Why pay that much when you could get a RG2500 for $425?

Jordan gets my vote for best avatar on site.

A lot of people like scubapro and apeks - they are fine regs and market themselves as a premium product better than other: so people who believe the hype will buy them at a higher price than others.

But why care? When choosing a reg the price you get selling it should be at the bottom of the list. If you are serious enough about diving that you want the best then why worry about selling it - the only reason to give away a top line reg is if you give up diving. I've been using my current reg for 8 years and it has another 10+ years in it for sure.

Jordan - I've bought LOTS of Diverite, so when do I get a bikini-clad diverite towel girl to help me dry off at the end of a dive?

Cheers,
Rohan.

Probably when you move from Mongolia to Lake City.

Jordan:
Why pay that much when you could get a RG2500 for $425?

Not everyone likes swivels...

But between the Zeagles, the DR's, and the DS4, I just don't get why people spend these ungodly sums on regs. I'm speaking of mere mortals here, not those venturing below 300ft regularly.

Getting back to your original question about resale value, the best way to find that out is to spend some time on ebay and see what various regs are going for. Just a guess, but I doubt used titanium regs will sell for anywhere their new cost, where the tried and true "workhorse" regs seem to hold their value better. One thing that will directly affect resale is the manufacturer's reputation for supporting products well into the future, and this is probably the reason you see so many old SP and U.S. divers regs selling for decent prices. Try selling an old Dacor reg and see what happens!

Depreciation was the last thing on my mind when I bought my Atomic. I wanted good performance and reliability. I've had it for 8 years and don't know what I could sell it for. I don't think they would depreciate much more or less than a lower end reg.

$4,000 for a trip to caribbeans? hehehehe, I guess with that kind of money, you can afford just anything scuba has to offer. j/king

divnamite:
$4,000 for a trip to caribbeans? hehehehe, I guess with that kind of money, you can afford just anything scuba has to offer. j/king
not really, I dive old junk equipment so I have the extra cash for the dive trips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom