Transpac or Diverite BP/Wing for newbie?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlwalke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a TPII on order, but because the ship date has come and gone (twice), I still have time to re-evaluate my decision. Haven't tried one yet, but heard lots of good things about them before I ordered. After I ordered, I heard a couple of negative things including perjorative bastadizations such as Trashpac.

I cannot afford a Halcyon BTW. Anyhow, if I didn't get the TP I would get the Diverite BP/wings setup. What initially appealed to me about the TPII was the press by diverite about how the fit can be adjusted to just about anyone. On the other hand, I like the cleaner lines of the standard harness for the BP/wing system. Maybe its mostly aesthetic, but I think I would prefer that to all the buckles and stuff that is hanging off of the transpac.

For the foreseeable future, BTW, I'm purely a rec diver and a new one at that. If I end up doing tec stuff, it will be quite a ways down the road. I've read on the board of a few people who seem to have gotten the TPII and liked it a bunch, but then moved on and gotten the BP/wing setup. Is the TPII almost invariably a transitional BC? I associate the BP/wing/harness system with tec stuff and wonder if, for some reason, it would be overkill for me (not even sure what that means) and that I should just stick with the TPII.

Apparently, I obsess about such things when I'm spending a bunch of money. Oh yeah, one last thing, how is the optional integrated weight system for the transpac. It comes as part of the package from Divers Discount but is $45 I believe from Leisure Pro (which is where I am going to order this from if DD doesn't ship my order soon)? It looks like the BC buckle is right where a weight belt buckle would be which sounds potentially awkward and uncomfortable.

dlwalke once bubbled...
I have a TPII on order, but because the ship date has come and gone (twice), I still have time to re-evaluate my decision. Haven't tried one yet, but heard lots of good things about them before I ordered. After I ordered, I heard a couple of negative things including perjorative bastadizations such as Trashpac.

I cannot afford a Halcyon BTW. Anyhow, if I didn't get the TP I would get the Diverite BP/wings setup. What initially appealed to me about the TPII was the press by diverite about how the fit can be adjusted to just about anyone. On the other hand, I like the cleaner lines of the standard harness for the BP/wing system. Maybe its mostly aesthetic, but I think I would prefer that to all the buckles and stuff that is hanging off of the transpac.

For the foreseeable future, BTW, I'm purely a rec diver and a new one at that. If I end up doing tec stuff, it will be quite a ways down the road. I've read on the board of a few people who seem to have gotten the TPII and liked it a bunch, but then moved on and gotten the BP/wing setup. Is the TPII almost invariably a transitional BC? I associate the BP/wing/harness system with tec stuff and wonder if, for some reason, it would be overkill for me (not even sure what that means) and that I should just stick with the TPII.

Apparently, I obsess about such things when I'm spending a bunch of money. Oh yeah, one last thing, how is the optional integrated weight system for the transpac. It comes as part of the package from Divers Discount but is $45 I believe from Leisure Pro (which is where I am going to order this from if DD doesn't ship my order soon)? It looks like the BC buckle is right where a weight belt buckle would be which sounds potentially awkward and uncomfortable.

First of all, the BP/wings setup is NOT overkill for recreational diving. If you want to move to tech, then it's really easy. Halcyon is not the only manufacturer of BP and wings. I use a Fred T AL backplate, and there's a number of others that make them that are more reasonably priced than Halcyon. I'll assume you dive mostly warm water, and if that's the case, you're probably looking at a SS backplate from someone.

Next, you said On the other hand, I like the cleaner lines of the standard harness for the BP/wing system.. Nothing could be cleaner than a BP harness with wings. Less drag=less work=less air used=less CO2 buildup.

Also, the fit on any harness system when set will be set for you. At first, it may be tough to setup, but once done, you shouldn't ever have to touch is again. I switch backplates all the time, so it only takes me about 5 minutes to set up a rig.

You should obsess with your equipment. Diving isn't cheap. But hopefully when you're done you'll make the decision that's best for you. My suggestion would be the BP and wings. They're actually very reasonably priced when you shop around, and they'll last a very long time-even thru "tech" diving.

One last point. If you can afford the Halcyon wings-go with them.

Good luck, and dive safe,

Jack

You should be able to find Halcyon 27# wings for 220, just keep calling dive shops until you find one that will. The backplate, depending on what you get, will cost about 100-200 fully harnessed. This should be comparable to the transpac. The transpac isn't bad, but doesn't quite feel as robust as a BP and wings.

Read my post on my experience with the Transpac. I just ordered it and received it the other day. It fit horribly!!! I sent it back the next day. It was the most uncomfortable thing I ever felt on me.

How can it "fit horribly"? :smirk: It's adjustable... Unless you got a size that is way too large or small for you....

My wife just got certified in a Halcyon setup. It's not overkill for anything. If you have to go cheap, get a Fred T plate and webbing kit and Halcyon wing. The wing is the truly important part.

Mike

Hi dlwalke,

I just got certified in August and shortly after that researched and bought all my gear. Everyone I talked to locally from my dive shop recommended the Transpac, I suppose cause they arent a Halcyon dealer :). So i decided since many LDS people and non LDS people said it was a great BC i went for it.

After I bought it and before I could try it out I found some threads and stuff about how bad they are yadda yadda yadda. I got REALLY nervous. I wanted a bc that was very clean and hated the bulk of the jacket styles. The transpac looked like it was what i wanted. Now granted a BP/Wing is even more clean than a transpac but im still new and learning.

All in all, I am VERY happy with my transpac. One thing I read is that with recwings and a single tank has a lot of lift, which can be dangerous. I havent seen or had a problem other than my lack of great bouyency control :eek:ut:

My one ***** about it is that it took me close to 3 or 4 days of about 2 - 3 hours a day to get it set up. Moving those D rings and weight pockets on that webbing is a pain :) I really didnt mind the setup time tho, because I was working at getting use to where things were and relocating things I couldnt reach or felt odd with.

Like I said above, I am happy with it and can see me with it for quite some time to come, which is what I wanted. I have 10 dives with it so far and my initial set up time was worth it. Everything I need /want is where i can reach it and I havent had to play with it since then.

Just my .02 cents
Take care...
Kevin

You asked about TPII or BP/W rig. I don't currently use a BP/W, but am Very interested in one for caving. I use my TPII now & it does fine. Will the BP/W set up work better? We'll see. From what everyone says it will. Now I'm waiting for some one to show me real proof that one brand or the other is decidedly better that DiveRITE, albeit no one seems to really want to try to present a real case.

I love my TP II. It is not a good BC to buy thru the mail or off the internet. You need to at least be able/willing to read the instructions to set them up. If you buy thru a shop there is a beter chance it might get set up right the first try. If you can't make it fit great, it's not set up right.

The Rec wings are more lift then you need for warm water diving. I don't think it a "danger" thing, just size, streamlining, ,,,,

If you were to buy a BP and wings you might have the same problem with wings that are to big. There are different size wings !

The weight pockets work fine. In warm water and six lb's you might rather have a belt. If you are traveling , they take up "room". If you are in cold water with a lot of weight they work great , but you might need to distributed the weight better/differently. And the pockets and D-rings all come off.

Flexible, flexible, flexible

adios don O

I recently switched to a Dive Rite BP and Wing but dove a TP II with a rec wing before the switch. The TP II, if you take the time to adjust it properly, is a really nice setup. It is extremely comfortable. I do like the BP and wing better because it is very simple but the TP II is still nice. The guy that said it was uncomfortable obviously didn't take the time to fit it or he purchased the wrong size. The TP II is also very durable, it should give you many years of use.

Back
Top Bottom