Beginner Gear Package Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NYCDiveGuy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello all,

I'm new to the boards and diving. I'm planning on completing my PADI owc this month, and my Dive shop is offering me a package deal of a top of the line regulator/BC/computer for around $1200. If I get the deal, they will give me the PADI course free ($300 value). Is this a good deal?

I know that most people should not buy gear until they've been certified and have had a chance to try different models etc... I also know that I need to make sure I like diving. But here is the thing, I am so psyched to learn to dive and definitely want to take several trips in the near future (fortunately my job has me traveling). I also want to potentially take AOW. So, do I buy the gear and get my OW course free?

I'm leaning towards waiting, but would love advice from experienced divers. If I wait, I'll most likely purchase equipment soon after my certification. Any recommendations on Beginner gear packages/equipment? Thanks.

Eric

I fogot to mention the actual top of the line gear:
Oceanic brand:
Delta 4 FDX10 1st Stage
Slimline 2nd stage
V0250 computer
Islander travel vest

Well Oceanic is deffintly a good brand and I doubt you wil be dissapointed in thie performance. I would ask if you can try the gear on and maybe play with it in a pool. You dont need to be certified to just see if the gear is comfertable in the water. Look for how the BC fits, does it shift around on you, are their places where it rubs uncomfertably. Otherwise talk to the dive shop about using differant gear during the class and after the class purchasing the package and them refund or knock off the price of the course. I would be a little hesitant about buying gear without at least having an idea of what your looking for. I've done that myself, some gear I got lucky and liked, some I had to spend even more money to get what worked best for me.

Regardless, it is a good price, and good gear quality wise. The question is, is it the gear for you?

$1,200 for that equipment is competitive (but not a great deal), especially if you think of it as buying it all for $900 (since $300 is going to a class you would have to pay for otherwise).

all that gear for $900 is about right:

VEO 250 is $250
Delta IV is $325
Slimline is $80
Islander is $400
-----------------
TOTAL $1,055

so... you can get the gear yourself for $1,055 and pay the class ($300)
for $1,355 ... or you can take the deal and pay $1,200

your savings is $125

your call

sounds like a good price,top quality reg,dont know about the bcd, make sure the bc fits good,but it is hard to buy what you need when you dont know what you need,sounds like you could do alot worse.

Oceanic CDX5/Omega 2 good performance reg

H2Andy:
your savings is $125

dang it, added it up wrong... your savings is $155

H2Andy and the rest are right. While I'm not an Oceanic fan, they make good gear and it would probably serve you well. Probably.

In my estimation, I would pay for the course and then rent gear for a while. I recommend that people try at least 3 different manufacturers and several models from each before they buy. Even if they don't buy the brand(s) I recommend or sell, the most important thing is that they are comfortable and happy.

Remember, this is gear that can stay and grow with you for years. My first reg and BC lasted from 1989 to 2000 and is still in use buy the friend I sold them to.

Not something I would spend that much money on without being very confident through use that it's what I want.

It is in their interest to sell gear, but not in your interest to buy whatever they want to sell you before you have even tried diving and learned about gear.

See if you can pay them $300 for the class now, and the other $900 if you decide to purchase the equipment after class or at least after the pool sessions - perhaps better to use their gear in the chlorinated pool anyway. :wink: Then buy the equipment only if you like it, make sure that BC fits right. Would they be willing to give you a similar deal on other gear they carry, so you have more choice?

According to H2Andy's numbers the course isn't exactly free, it's discounted. A decent deal if this is what you would have bought anyway, but $155 savings isn't such a good deal if it turns out you would have preferred something else (or can't equalize.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom