Sports Chalet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SBP Studios

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey there we just signed up for Scuba at the Sports Chalet in Gilbert...anyone familiar with it? WE have 3 weeks to get certified before our trip to Hawaii.

Is is correct that 4 dives is all we need? I would have thought it was more.

2x in the pools and then 2x at the lakes 2 weekends in a row.

Hopefulyl this will be good instruction as we already paid. I wish I had found this forum before hand!

So how can we tell a good instructor from a bad one? This instructor says he has been diving for 20+ years and instructing for like only 4. I thought that was odd.

scrapdizzy:
..This instructor says he has been diving for 20+ years and instructing for like only 4. I thought that was odd.
Not really just means he didn't go the instructor route for awhile, could have been a Dive Master for years, instructors have to pay fees to their agency and carry insurance, so it's not something you just do, unless your going to acutally do it. More important questions maybe "How many dives does you have logged?", can give you an idea of how active he's been over the years. "Where?", to see what kindof conditions he's experienced in. And the always important; "Has one of your students ever died?" :wink:

scrapdizzy:
Hey there we just signed up for Scuba at the Sports Chalet in Gilbert...anyone familiar with it? WE have 3 weeks to get certified before our trip to Hawaii.

Well, technically you'll be doing the equivalent of 6-8 dives: 4 open water and 2-4 in confined water. By the time you get done, you'll have a pretty thorough understanding of the basics. Just make sure that when you go to Hawaii you don't try anything you're a) not trained for and b) not comfortable with. I might also suggest diving with a Dive Master for your first few certified dives in Hawaii.

If you know your instructor's name already, send it to me in a PM. I'm good friends with many SC instructors and might be able to find out more for you.

scrapdizzy:

Hopefulyl this will be good instruction as we already paid. I wish I had found this forum before hand!

Yes, like Garrett already confirmed, 4 dives. Although 1 weekend for pool and classroom seems a little accelerated. You should get enough out of the class to get you started, but it won't make you an expert. Come out and dive with us at one of the get togethers, or when any of us are just going out to the lake. The more you dive, the better you'll get. As far as instructors go, it will be hard for you to tell whether your instructor is good or bad or middle of the road. When instructors teach out of stores, they are pretty limited to the schedule the store sets. So if you need more time to master a skill, you may not get it because it will hold up the rest of the class. Since you already paid for the class, go through it and get the most out of it that you can. Read your book, complete your knowledge reviews and go prepared. When you get back from Hawaii, come out to the lake with us. We'll help you be a better diver. Welcome to the Board!

Thanks guys!

HOw is diving in the Lakes in AZ? I would think the water would be ver murky no? How is the visability down there?

Never really appealed to me to diver in a Lake.

Hi Scrap … Welcome to Scubaboard and to Scuba. Hopefully, when you signed up for your Scuba Lessons, they gave you a disclaimer that advises you that Scuba can turn you into an obsessive compulsive and can be extremely addictive.:wink:

Your question below is very thought provoking. And, one thing you will learn about Scubaboard is everyone has an opinion and lots of great ideas. I know anything I write will have its advocates and people who disagree. It’s great to be an American :D But, truly, there is no right answer to your question. Hopefully, you can grab some information from my post and the others to follow to build your own perspective.

I've been diving for 20+ years and while I've thought about that question, I don't think I've really come up with an answer. I think the answer to that question is a derivative from the answer of "what makes a great diver" or "how do you know a good diver from a bad diver". Obviously, a great instructor turns out great divers! Then the selection process begins.

Stepping out of Scuba for a minute, I thought I would draw a comparable to golfing. While I enjoy golfing, I am certainly not a great golfer. Why? I know how to play. I have most of the knowledge to make it from tee number one to hole number eighteen. I've taken lessons from a professional. This is the list I came up with:

1. Passion: My passion lies in other places. Most of my spare time is spent Scuba Diving or teaching Scuba. Between my family and other occupation, that leaves very little time for anything else. Thus, golf becomes a distraction or social event more than something I passionate about doing. I know, like most people, passionate golfers. They are crazily obsessed. And, when they meet another passionate golfer, it’s like they have known each other forever. I often wonder if that is how outsiders (to Scuba) perceive Scuba Divers hanging out at our shop. Without passion, you can never really be great at whatever you’re doing.

2. Dedication: Would I go golfing in terrible conditions? Would I blow off a business meeting to go golfing? Do I dedicate myself to going out weekly (or more often) to hone my skills? Do I dedicate funds to upgrade my equipment and education? Do I dedicate much of my free time to read (books, magazines and Internet) about theories, concepts and new trends in golfing? No. Without dedication to something I am passionate about, I can never attain a level of true mastery. I can never be a great golfer.

3. Training: Above I discussed dedicating myself to honing skills. This is a huge part to becoming a great diver. Not only practicing skills, but immersing yourself in the theory behind the skills as well. It’s one thing to know how to take a mask off and put it back on; however it is completely different when you put mask removal into a real world scenario. e.g., a mask coming off in the ocean is usually preceded by a kick in the face (or a leak.). Getting back to golf, great and passionate golfers head out to the driving range religiously. During lunch, before or after work, on the weekends. Most golfers spend more time on the driving range than actually on the golf course. Do Scuba Divers spend more time running skills and drills than actually Scuba Diving? Would Tiger Woods be a great golfer if he didn’t continue training on a driving range? Why does Tiger Woods (arguably one of the greatest golfers ever) have a coach? Should, we as divers find our mentor, our coach, to help smooth out our rough edges, just like Tiger. Yes.

4. Experience: I was having a late dinner after class last night talking with another instructor. We were talking about the proverbial “advanced diver” who hasn’t dove in ten years. Would that same person be considered an advanced golfer if he hasn’t golfed in ten years? If a golfer never played more than 1 or 2 places, would he be considered an advanced golfer? To truly bring your level of expertise up, you need to experience a vast number of environments and do it frequently. Breadth of experience on a frequent basis is the sign of a great diver.

Back to Scuba!

Above are four (of many) key elements that lead to becoming a great diver. So, how do we translate this in identifying a good instructor versus a bad instructor?

First off, you are hiring someone to train you to become a scuba diver. Thus, doing a little due diligence or interviewing is a good idea. If you are not comfortable with a person during the “interview” process, then you probably won’t be comfortable with them in a learning environment. One of the ways that I get comfortable with new divers is to do a Discover Scuba with them. Low investment for the customer (around $20) and a good way to get to know each other before investing time and money in a full blow class.

Part of the interview process is to get to know if the Instructor is a great diver. Use the four attributes listed above and whatever list you generate to determine that. Ask questions, like where have you dove? Where was the last place you went fun diving? How often does your instructor take courses (to learn new skills)? Just because he’s an instructor doesn’t mean he should stop learning. Have him/her talk about his/her mentors/role models. Talk about what makes him passionate about Scuba. Talk about equipment. How much does he own? How often does he upgrade his equipment? Would you trust a computer technician if he came to fix your computer and you found out he was still using Windows 95? You’re taking an open water class, what does he see as valuable components to that class? What does he expect his students to take out of that class? When he answers you, does he just talk about skill mechanics or does he bring it into the real world? You can guess what the right answer is here. Can you talk to one of his other students (friends who dive are great sources for finding great instructors)? What are his thoughts on advanced education? Most important, follow up with the question why. If he gives you a sales pitch and doesn’t have value sets behind the statement, then he really doesn’t have any thoughts on advanced education … just the party line.

Another thing you have to think about is how you plan on diving. Do you want to get into Photography, Wrecks, Caves, Cold Water Diving in San Diego, or maybe even a naturalist/environmental bend? Does this instructor have the skill sets to train you in the style of diving you want to pursue?

What I am really describing is someone who is a role model, a mentor, a trainer, and a good dive buddy. An instructor who can help you attain the level of diving you desire. An instructor who ‘lives the dive life’. An instructor who solidly advocates ongoing involvement and interest in your dive career (whatever that looks like).

When you find that instructor, stick to him like glue. Refer your friends and family.

On a separate note: I am a huge advocate for continuing education. It exposes divers to new skills, environments, and other divers. But most importantly, it keeps them learning, in the water and passionate about the sport. However, your instruction is only as good as (1) the effort you put into the education, (2) the instructor who is passionate about digging deep into the curriculum for that specialty.

Lastly, the shop in which you train is almost as important as the instructor. I said almost. I find the atmosphere of the shop emulates its instructor base and people who dive with them. Personally, I like a shop with character. When you walk in, you feel more like family than a customer. A shop that smells like a dive shop (figuratively). A shop where you can walk in and know any question is going to get answered by any of the staff. A shop where it’s more of experience than a shopping trip. Scuba is a recreation, a break from reality, a place where you go to escape. A shop doesn’t look like Wal Mart. It’s got flavor. Of course, you want a shop that suits your personality. If you are someone who is extraverted, you want a shop with some flair. Although, be careful you don’t sacrifice substance for socializing. If you are someone who is more reserved or introverted, you probably want a quieter shop with less flash but plenty of substance.

The good news there are lots of shops in town and each is very good in its own way. This many shops also provide a lot of diversity and a true menu from which to select. Sorry for the longwinded message, but you asked.

My two cents: Hope this helps.

scrapdizzy:
Thanks guys!

HOw is diving in the Lakes in AZ? I would think the water would be ver murky no? How is the visability down there?

Never really appealed to me to diver in a Lake.
We're pretty fortunate in Arizona. 3 hours to Rocky Point (so-so diving, but it is the ocean). 5 hours to San Diego (great diving). Lots of California liveaboards in driving distance. 8 hours (or less) to drive to world class diving in San Carlos, Mexico.

When all else fails, we are a few hours and a direct flight to Cabo San Lucas, Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Cozumel, Florida and many other world class dive spots.

To train, we have Lake Pleasant in town and Lake Mohave and Lake Mead a little further away -- but both make an excellent weekend of diving and playing.

Lake Pleasant is what it is. A great place to blow bubbles (with decent vis), keep your skills in tact, hang with other divers (and talk a lot of diving) and hang out and have fun in the water. You might even find a $100 like granny did a few weeks ago.

////

Wow thanks a ton for that info and insight!!!

Me and my wife travel all over the world for our business so Scuba is just perfect for us, we worked in Cancun recently and we really wished we knew Scuba then for sure.

We will be in Hawaii, Dominican REpublic and Bahamas over the next 4 months so this is really important to us to be able to do somethjing we really enjoy and we really enjoy watching underwater shows, so what better than to learn Scuba ourselves!

Thanks again guys...hope to come out and meet you soon.

Now ive got a book and a video I need to get to watching fast!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom