Dedicated "Rec" setup...opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JKSteger

D/M Wannabee ! ! !
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm thinking of getting a Dacor Viper setup to be used as a "dedicated" recreational setup. I don't expect to get the performance of my MK25/G250 out of it. This would be something that I could travel with and do shorter/shallower dives with so I don't have to use the long hose / bungied octo.

I could get a good deal on the Viper America. I'm looking to setupt he whole set (1st, 2nd, octo, SPG, LP Inflator hose) for about $225.00 MAX!

Is it uncommon to have a "dedicated" recreational setup like this? Is the Viper descent?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Personally, I wouldn't buy anything from Dacor right now. Not because of the quality but because of the after-sales service. A regulator has a long life span but to me it looks like Mares is slowly removing Dacor from the market. I've been hearing stories for the last couple of years about people having trouble getting parts from Dacor. You'll have to check carefully into that. For me it would be reason enough to look further.

As for the reg itself, I suppose it's fit for purpose. It's a side-venter (by which I mean that the exhaust valve is on the side instead of the bottom), which has some advantages but also means that it will tend to breathe wetter than a reg with the exhaust valve on the bottom. Personally I don't like that but if you don't mind then you might really like it.

I also have a dedicated "rec" regulator because of teaching. In my case I bought the same kind as the rest of my regs for various reasons.

R..

I have a viper octo and I don't like it that much...I barely use it and it still seems to be the reg that needs service the most, and it's a wet breather. You could find a SP MK2/R190 for a very reasonable price and be able to count on it for a long time.

I also have a dedicated singles reg. It is however the same model Mk 17 D400 I use for my doubles regs.

I also agree that buying Dacor right now may not be a sound investment as Mares is only supporting current production Dacor regs, and if they get discontinued tomorrow, next year, etc, the parts supply will dry up shortly after leaving you the proud owner of a paper weight.

A Scubapro MK 2+ with the R190 or R295 second stage or a Mk 11 R295 would all make good warm water recreational regs.

Since you have Scubapro why not get an R190 at Scubatoys for $179 or you can pickup an Oceanic Alpha 8 with warranty for around $149. Those should not increase your budget much. I imagine your going to pay about $129 for the Viper?

why not an MK2 with an R290? I use this for recreational diving and as gear for students. I have 3 sets of these and find it good and reliable.

We have dedicated teaching regs that are different in make and model than our doubles regs and now regret it. Sure, it saved a few bucks, but I miss the flexibility to swap out stages if there are issues.

Jeremy,
I'm by no means an expert, but I borrowed a Viper reg from my brother to do my advanced open water course about 1 month ago. I didn't like it at all (breathing wasn't smooth, bubbles caused interference with my sight, breathing required some effort). It pushed me to buy a Mares Proton and wow am I happy now. Much better on all points mentioned above. Huge difference. And for your info, the reg had just been serviced, so it was supposed to be working fine.

That, added to Mares slowly closing out Dacor... I wouldn't go with this brand!!!!

Just my 0.02$:wink:

I have a Viper America and the Viper Octo and they aren't bad at all. But Remember that you get what you pay for, I was broke and in college when I bought mine and it was $160 (scuba.com i think) So it was the best one in my price range. I have had no problems with it. The viper really isn't as wet as some say it is either, it does however pull a bit harder upside down.

I do not regret the purchase and have enjoyed my reg over the past three years. I am getting ready to give it to my wife who is starting scuba lessons at the end of the month. I'm thinking of getting a Zeagle Envoy Deluxe next.

Bottom line for the money it isn't a bad setup. I do agree with previous post that the future of the company is questionable at best.

so it's your call........

Back
Top Bottom