How long before I should upgrade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used the same regulator for 25 years before I upgraded....as long as there are parts availbale to do the yearly service a regulator can last a long long time.

As long as you can get it serviced and it performs well enough for the diving you're doing I don't see the problem. My first reg--which I got second hand--was 25 years old when I finally replaced it.

Top of the line regs will breathe easier and if you feel this would make a difference to your diving then I would do it, but it's more of a "could do" or "want to do" than a "should do".

R..

My first reg was used when I bought it in 92 and it's still in service as my pool/backup reg. I am not too sure how old it actually is but I think it's around an 84 vintage-22 yrs old. I dive an Apex as my primary reg now and it was bought more because I wanted it rather than for any real need. My latest "new" reg, is around a 1965 vintage or 41 years old and it still works like the day it was made....or so I am told, I was not diving back then. As long as a reg suits your needs (no way I would dive my 1964 double hose on a deep wreck) and you can get parts, there is no reason not to dive it.

I'm still using my first regulator. I would upgrade only when you need to. It's a balanced piston first stage so it should perform just fine. Congrats and welcome!

Thanks for your responses, you never know when a good deal might not be so good.

I'm leaving for Cozumel on Friday, is it okay to pack the first stage with the second and octopus still hooked up to it. I mean will the hoses being coiled in the reg bag make a difference? Should I disassemble everything?

Kim

No Kim, keep it all assembled, but protect it. Some people use a special regulator bag, others wrap t-shirts around it. Whatever.

TSA rarely looks twice at my regs, my camera and strobe do get a quicky look from time to time

Hmm...The first stage is a Scubapro Mk 5 clone, but exactly what brand is it and where do you plan to get it serviced?

I'm not sure not sure about the second stage an octo - they are no doubt copies of something.

Maybe I'm missed something but unless you can locate service for it, you'll be "upgrading" next year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom