VT3 versus Atom 1.0

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

litoria

Registered
Reaction score
I am trying to decide between these two computers. The biggest difference I see is the Buddy Check on the VT3 which seems to be a great feature. What is everyones opinions? Pros and Cons of each?

Any help you can provide would be great!

The biggest difference is the size - the ATOM is designed as a wristwatch, the VT3 being a more conventional "dive computer" that may either be wrist or retractor mounted.

The following are operational features of the VT3 not found on the ATOM 1.0:

* Buddy Pressure CheckTM allows monitoring of up to two “buddy” transmitters

* Larger display/digits

* Dedicated Free Dive Mode allows switching between SCUBA and Free Diving during the same dive period and features dive time in min:sec, 1-second sampling rate, an automatic 30-second elapsed dive time alarm, countdown timer and 3 independent maximum depth alarms

* 512 Memory Capacity for download – double that of the ATOM 1.0

Doug Krause:
The biggest difference is the size - the ATOM is designed as a wristwatch, the VT3 being a more conventional "dive computer" that may either be wrist or retractor mounted.

The following are operational features of the VT3 not found on the ATOM 1.0:

* Buddy Pressure CheckTM allows monitoring of up to two “buddy” transmitters

Doug,

The Atom 1.0 can also monitor upto two other transmitters can't it? So what is the difference between the Atom's transmitter monitoring and the VT3s transmitter monitoring?

ramsabi:
Doug,

The Atom 1.0 can also monitor upto two other transmitters can't it? So what is the difference between the Atom's transmitter monitoring and the VT3s transmitter monitoring?

There are quite a few less steps to get the buddy information while diving compared to the Atom 1.0, with the Atom 1.0 you have to program it as one of your gases where as buddy check it doesn't.

I have both the Atom 1.0 and the new VT3. I like them both but I would definitely have to favor the VT3 for performance and useablility. The VT3 has huge numbers compared to the Atom 1.0. The VT3 also displays your tank pressure and Air time remaining on the main dive page. Instead of having to push a button on the Atom 1.0. I also downloaded both of my dives and noticed a difference in information being downloaded between the Atom 1.0 and Vt3. The Vt3 dive downloaded the remaining tank pressure with every sample rate it took. The Atom 1.0 didnt (Like it really matters but I found it interesting to see). Also you can wear the Atom 1.0 out in public without fear of looking like a big geek like you would with the VT3.

I also have the Atom and VT3. Since getting the VT3 last week, I have moved the Atom to my secondary computer, love the VT3.

Also keep in mind if you switch transmiters to check your buddy's air on the Atom, it will think that you are diving with that tank and recalculate based on that tank (same will of course happen when you switch back)

So moral of the story: Even though you can view 3 transmitters in the Atom, it is not a true buddy check, unlike the VT3.

One other note:

If you are having issues with Downloading, make sure you have not added another device that is using the same FDIT Chip. I added the Sony Ericsson DS20 Docking Station and could no longer download, took a couple of hours to sort out :)

Narrowed it down to same chip using different drivers and conflicting

Just a comment......

I'm sure you need to be real close to each other and have link established but the buddy check feature has the potential to be a great feature.

My wife and I both dive with ProPlusII's and we check each others air 2 or 3 times late in a dive. My wife doesn't breath underwater so the only way she knows how much bottom time she has left is to read my computer.

Don Janni:
Just a comment......

I'm sure you need to be real close to each other and have link established but the buddy check feature has the potential to be a great feature.

My wife and I both dive with ProPlusII's and we check each others air 2 or 3 times late in a dive. My wife doesn't breath underwater so the only way she knows how much bottom time she has left is to read my computer.

Arms length works, I could argue that buddies shouldn't be that much farther away.:D

In practice it is super easy, just swim up closer hit the button, see pressure and continue the dive. No time wasted getting their attention, reaching for spg and turning it to read.

gmcalea:
I also have the Atom and VT3. Since getting the VT3 last week, I have moved the Atom to my secondary computer, love the VT3.

Also keep in mind if you switch transmiters to check your buddy's air on the Atom, it will think that you are diving with that tank and recalculate based on that tank (same will of course happen when you switch back)

So moral of the story: Even though you can view 3 transmitters in the Atom, it is not a true buddy check, unlike the VT3.
On the Atom 1.0 what button is it? I tried it the other day on my buddy and it didnt work underwater. Of course out of the water when I was able to read his pressure. I dont think the manual covers this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom