Cavern Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

USAF Diver

Reaction score
I'm so excited to have finally finished my Cavern class! I dove yesterday with my instructor, Bill Rennaker. If anybody is thinking about taking overhead training, I'd highly reccommend him. The dives in Peacock 1 were spectacular, I can't believe the size of that place. I thought I did an OK job with cave kicks, but I had a little trouble with the reel sometimes.

The two "CE" courses I highly recommend for all divers, regardless of their particular area of interest, are Rescue and Cavern. These two pack more really useful information and skills into them than any other recreational courses...
Any of you who haven't done so, take the cavern course!
Rick

...Why not take the Cavern/Intro combo?

Definitely good advice, Cavern is a great class with lots of useful info. If you really want to improve yourself as a diver, though, why not take the Cavern/Intro Cave combo class? It becomes one 3 day class, and you'll see what it looks like where the sun don't shine : ). You will most definitely learn something, and I'd bet you'll enjoy it even more. Plus, you won't have your appetite whetted by Cavern without being able to go past that sign. You know the one I mean.

I think everyone has trouble with a reel in the biginning.

I took the Cavern class many years ago and I learned a lot. It takes some diving experience to juggle lights and reel work. I suggest that you practice your reel work in a swimming pool at night to simulate the darkened enviornment. I know it sounds silly but I did it and I feel by practicing in a safer enviornment than in the cavern, you can make your mistakes and hone your skills with little risk to yourself and your buddy. Another thing we would do is run the reel in the house with the lights turned off and used our lights...we even ran them around the trees in the yard at night. Now when I am doing a reel dive ina a cavern, I find it a lot more comfortable ....but don't take my advice I had to have the boat captain help me restrap my tanks on our dives, in the keys on the Seigal Grove!!! and I have been diving for 14 years!! I guess too much open space and fish had me all bass ackwards... It just goes to show you you never can have too much training or experience.:snorkel: :babble: :rfish: :singfish:

Safe diving
Pete

Congratulations! I have never dove with Bill, but I do get my fills from him. He is a really nice guy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom