Free-Diving for Lobsters in CT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JLH

New
Reaction score
I was thinking about trying to do a little free-diving for lobsters at night in Connecticut. Before I go and get the license I was wondering if its feasible to catch them without the actual SCUBA equipment to stay down for more than a couple minutes.

I have done a lot of free diving during the day and occasionally see lobsters but have heard they are more active and easier to catch at night is this true? I also heard its legal to dive for them in CT at night, true?

My other question is lighting, whats a good dive light to use for free diving that isn’t going to cost too much $$.

I have a boat I launch at barn island so will probably be trying out around the Stonington breakwalls.

i dunno about how sucssfull you will be, but id just get a prienceton tec or UK light in the 50 60 dollar range.
let us know how ya make out i have a friend who thinks he wants to try it as well

can you lobster at night? I think massachusetts restricts 1/2 hour on each side sunrise/sunset.

good luck... I've tried free diving for lobster around Salt Island in Gloucester at low tide. got one monster, but if course it was there because it was notched. I'd starve if I had to feed myself that way.

feegle

When the lights go out in the city, the bugs turn into creatures from your fantasies. (No, not THAT kind of fantasy! Your DIVING fantasies!)

They come out of their holes. They walk around. They do the Lobster Mash. When you see one and shine your light on him, he'll agressively move towards you. It's like you are seeing a whole new creature. No more "I'm just hiding here under my rock, you can't see me." Unnn uhhh. "It's more like, Hey you, what you lookin' at? You want a piece of me? Bring it on, ******!"

Of course, that makes it incredibly easy to find/grab them. Sort of no contest. Which is why it's against da law. Give a lobsta a break!

I know of spots here in Maine where I can find them skin-diving easy enough iin the evening so from that standpoint it's doable. As for local timing and gear regulations I don't know. Up here it's trap only so it's a moot question.

Pete

Anyone know what the skinny is on diving/lobstering up in Nova Scotia? A and I are headed up there mid August. Should I throw the dive gear in the truck? I'm not crazy about diving in areas of 30 foot tides since I want to come out within 10-15 miles of where I went in, but there must be some areas where it's not like that. Also, can you grab bugs legally there. Do you need to be a resident, have a permit, etc?
Paul
Sorry for the hijack.
P

RIOceanographer:
That's true for MA but the original post was about CT. Diving for lobsters at night is legal there

Great Googley Moogley! :monkeydan Call the movers! :monkeydan :monkeydan I'm so outta here!!!:monkeydan :monkeydan :monkeydan

edited to add: Those little monkey guys crack me up. Stupid? Yup! Without question. That's probably why I like em. ~~~~~I just notice when the monkey waves his hand, he sort of looks like my pic. Beat ya to the punch!!!! (Sort of a pre-emptive calling in friendly fire on my own posiition.)~~~~~

Yes, lobstering at night is legal in CT...

Last year I was at Stonington (on SCUBA) and there was another person there free diving for bugs. He caught 3, but they were short.. Me and my buddy caught 5. We would have had more (it was a great night).. but he showed up with his tank only 1/2 full..

The water depths there are ~ 7 - 13 feet... with 15' further out, but less bugs.

Nice easy shore dive.

I agree with the Princeton /UK C-8 lights are fine. Vis is typically around 5 - 6 feet (usual) and around 10 feet on a real good night.

The shorts KNOW they are short, and just look at you.. don't even try to hide or anything... Can't wait for them to grow up.

Have fun!

paulthenurse:
Great Googley Moogley! :monkeydan Call the movers! :monkeydan :monkeydan I'm so outta here!!!:monkeydan :monkeydan :monkeydan

(kept the monkeys in there for ya!)

I am thinking that you will find bigger / more bugs in MA during the day than we find around here at night... At least from shore..

Still checking for a few spots, but the vis was crappy.. Haven't had much luck this year. 3 dives, 0 bugs... no night dives yet..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom