Any opinions on the Scubapro MK2Plus/R295 reg? I saw it in SD mag+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fairybasslet

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It's relatively inexpensive $274. My son could use a new reg. He doesn't like the way the Dacor breaths.

Cheap, very reliable, easy to service, but not for cold water and not for deep dives.

mart1:
Cheap, very reliable, easy to service, but not for cold water and not for deep dives.

Well if your son is going beyond 198 feet for what the reg was designed for is a problem. For deep diving there might be better alternatives, but it's not going to stop kicking or anything like that.

mart1:

Actually, my understanding is that the MK2 is great in cold water. As far as depth goes, I've had mine to 130 ft with no problem whatsover. What's the basis for your claims, just out of curiousity?

mattboy:
Actually, my understanding is that the MK2 is great in cold water. As far as depth goes, I've had mine to 130 ft with no problem whatsover. What's the basis for your claims, just out of curiousity?
I think he was talking about deco deep, not rec deep. That would be fine for my son because he is only 16 and AOW. If he wants to start technical diving, he has to pay for the training and equipment. But I doubt that will happen any time soon since he doesn't like deep diving.:D

Excellent reg and Ok for deep, deco and cold water. Mine goes down to 4C in the lake here just fine..

Cheis

It won't breathe near as nice as a MK 25 / S600, but it sure is tough as nails and is easy to service.

I have 3 sets of these reg and have taken them to 130ft on many occassions. they are great reliable regs. I have an MK20 and I'd say at recreational depths the breathing difference is almost not discernible.

they're inexpensive, reliable, easy to service... what else, oh yeah two moving parts, and one of the parts is a spring that moves the other part. Pretty damn simple!

mattboy:
Depth: in the ANSTI test this first stage does perform very bad beyond 150ft. I have tried it at 200, and I can confirm it does not give enough air at these depths. Of course it will breathe fine at 130, as some people here claim, as long as you are calm and do not have another diver sharing air from this reg.
Cold: this reg does not pass the cold water test you have in the US. After a number of deadly accidents in the "Kreidesee" in Germany this regulator is forbidden there. But of course a lot of divers (including myself) have never experienced a frozen first stage. This does not prove anything, just that most divers do not over-breathe their regulators all that often.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom