Dive Report - Lake Jordan Alabama 7/11/06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Smedley

Tommy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
My friend Angela sent out an urgent call last week that she had dropped her bracelet in Lake Jordan. She marked the area where she remembered it slipping from her arm and I assured her that we would find it. On Tuesday afternoon AquaKnott and I left ahead of the afternoon rush traffic. We were on a salvage mission for sure because AK was armed with his underwater metal detector.

We found Angela’s marker and peered into the dark water. A scouting foray to the bottom found an almost foot thick layer of lyngbya. I had heard they had an algae problem in Jordan Lake but never imagined it would be like this. I thought, “This is going to be a challenge.”

We determined boundaries and decided to set two floats connected with a line and move the markers toward shore one arm length at a time. AK’s metal detector kept getting weak hits but the matted hair-like carpet reduced its effectiveness. I decided to do a manual search, closed my eyes and started feeling my way through the algae. The mud on the bottom of this lake is dark and stirred readily making visibility absolute zero.

I sifted through mussel shells and sticks and acorn hulls, squeezing the algae like a sponge hoping to feel whatever it embedded. Thirty-seven minutes into the dive I felt the bracelet entwined in a thick clump of lyngbya. Angela met me at the pier with my standard fee, a cold Corona with lime. Being a proper southern girl, she also insisted that I stay for supper.

Jarred, Angela, me, the children and the dogs sat before a picture window overlooking the late afternoon calmness of the lake. We feasted on salad, lasagna, corn, beans, and garlic bread.

As I drove away, a wild turkey flew across the road in front of me. Her long and magnificent flight against the setting sun was as if nature offered an impressive salute to end a relaxing and fruitful afternoon.

I remember saying to myself. “Life is good!”

Great report Tom! :D I'm hungry now though :p

Lake Jordan is about 20 miles north of Montgomery in Elmore County and on the Coosa River. The nearest town is Wetumpka. The river below Jordan Dam is famous for white water kayaking.

The Coosa and the Tallapoosa Rivers run almost parallel as they come together to form the Alabama river just south of Wetumpka. Lake Jordan is on the Coosa and Lake Martin is even with it on the Tallapoosa. The Coosa runs through several metropolitan and industrial areas and the Tallapoosa avoids any of those things. Lake Jordan is generally shallower and much smaller than Lake Martin. The mud in Jordan is black and the mud in Martin is tan or white. Unless there has been lots of rain Martin is cobalt blue while Jordan is green. Because of the metro areas and industries the Coosa River is overfertilized and more prone to algae.

The most popular dive site (for us anyway) is the old bridge structure which produces lots of old bottles and parapenalia. Lake Jordan has less boat traffic than Martin.

So, we don't dive in Jordan much. I have heard of a few sunken boats and stuff like that but know of no interesting structures under Jordan.

However, dives are like steak, wine, cheese, beer and some other things. All are good, some are just better than others.

Back
Top Bottom