Diving in Nova Scotia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulthenurse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I initally posted this in the New England Lobsta Divah's forum, since that is where I'm from. Having received limited replies (None) I thought I'd try here TIA

Anyone know what the skinny is on diving/lobstering up in Nova Scotia? Alice and I are headed up there mid August. Should I throw the dive gear in the truck? I'm not crazy about diving in areas of 30 foot tides since I want to come out within 10-15 miles of where I went in, but there must be some areas where it's not like that. Also, can you grab bugs legally there. Do you need to be a resident, have a permit, etc?
Paul
PS and perhaps most important...
Is it really as expensive as it seems to take a car across on the ferry? It looks to me like round trip for three adults and a car comes in around $800!!!!!! It might be a 10 hour drive but I can buy a hell of a lot of gas (ok I can buy a couple of fillups) for 800 bucks. Am I missing something? Hell, I have to drive around 1/3rd of the way anyways, to save 800 bucks I'll swim the rest of the way. (Confirmed cheap *** yankee.)

Where are you heading/staying?

If you are coming accross on the ferry, I'm assuming you'll land in Yarmouth. If so, I believe Torpedo Rays is the only shop in the area.

If you are driving, you might check these guys out in Kentville, http://www.sandandseadiveshop.ca/divecharter.htm I'm sure there's a shop in Lunenburg as well.

Let us know how you make out.

As he said, diving for lobsters is a big no-no. On top of the fisheries people, the local fishermen are always watching us when we're out there... they're convinced that we're after their 'gold', arrrrr.

The only place where the big tides are an issue is on the Bay of Fundy (north) side of the province. The south shore is probably similar to New England. Lots of shipwrecks, and plenty of nice shore dives, depending on what you're after.

I'm not certain what the cost of the ferry is, but gas up here is about $1.15/litre right now. Where in the province are you headed?

chris

Back
Top Bottom