Dacor / Mares Trade Up Program

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike126

Contributor
Reaction score
In another thread on the general equipment board, I mentioned that I'm returning to diving after being off for the past 15 years. Unfortunately, I have an older Dacor 960 XLE regulator. I did find out that Mares has a trade-in program and I could get the MR12 for around $150 from Scuba-Toys. I was alos going to check with my LDS to see if they have a similar offer.

Since I will only do warm water diving and maybe only 5 - 10 dives a year for now is this a decent regulator? Or, are there any other recommendations for under $200 that are a better performer/value?

Thanks, Mike

Wait,.. Dacor has a trade up program? I have an old BC of theirs that is in good condition. I wonder if they'll let me trade that in.

As far as I know the Dacor/mares trade in program is for Dacor Regs that are no longer being serviced due to the availability (or lack) of parts. Since Mares (Head Sports) has acquired Dacor they are offering customers with older regs the option of trading them in for a discount off of a newer Mares reg. I do not believe that this accounts for BCs as well but I am no dealer.

I used that Dacor trade in program at the end of last year and it worked out Great! I had an old Dacor Fury Reg and I got at least $150 trade in on a new 2005 Abysss. I still payed alittle over $200 but it was worth it in my mind :eyebrow: my next choice would have been the American Viper which I would have shelled out less than $200.

GotAir

I guess where I am in the purchase decision process is that I talked with my LDS on Saturday. He's a dealer for both Mares and Aqualung. His recommendation was the AL Titan LX w/free Octo over the Abyss. In the end the prices would be about the same $375 for the Titan LX and $300 + $100 for the Abyss and octo.

So I'm having a hard time to decide one over the other. Both have gotten good reviews on the board. I do like the AL composite 2nd stage since it will be lighter. I think both will perform great for my level of diving and I'm guessing service will be good too.

One concern I do have is that Mares destroyed the spare part molds for the Dacors for a reason. It appears to be a marketing decision to eliminate a product line. Which I'm not sure I like.

Mike

Mike126:
One concern I do have is that Mares destroyed the spare part molds for the Dacors for a reason. It appears to be a marketing decision to eliminate a product line. Which I'm not sure I like.

Mike

For that reason alone, I would never touch a Mares product. In my opinion they in essence abandoned their Dacor customers.

There are many good regulator manufacturers, but due to there long term track record my personal preference would be Aqua Lung (US Divers), Scubapro, and maybe even Poseidon. I have regulators from all three that are over 35 years old and I can get most of the parts for most of them. Some of the regulators I am thinking of (Conshelf, Royal Aqua Master, Scubapro Mk5, Poseidon Cyklon 300) perform as good or better than most new regulators.

The first stage on the Titan uses the same internal parts as the Conshelf and Royal Aqua Master. There have been a few minor improvements in that first stage, but the basic design has been around since around 1966 and there is no need to change it.

Luis - Thanks for the feedback. I'm totally convinced that the AL or Apeks is the right company for me. Now it's just a matter of deciding between the Titan LX and the Legend ACD.

Mike

Maybe you ought to read the thread about how AquaLung treats its dealers, also. Seems in their business model it is alright to let Leisure Pro sell their equipment at a huge discount but if a registered LDS sells the equipment for more than a 10% discount, they cancel his dealership,

Is this the type of corporate ethics you want to deal with???

Besides, I seriously doubt that Mares destroyed the Dacor molds - especially since Dacor was outsourcing all their manufacturing - and if Head/Mares had not bought Dacor - they would have just gone out of business and there would be no parts available and no Trade-up Program.

Watch out for the mis-information that some people seem to love to spread - their are "agendas" out here that are well hidden. None of the real "BIG BOYS" are squeeky clean. Just remember the term "business ethics" is an oxymoron!!!!

Good luck on whatever you decide to purchase.

I can’t ague with your points. I don’t work for any dive company, but back in the 70’s I worked for several dive shops. I used to dislike US Divers (Aqua Lung) because they would sell there products through Sears & Roebuck and Montgomery Wards at a discount.

I agree that I also have a problem with “corporate ethics”. I am sure that the major reason why Aqua Lung and Scubapro supports some of their discontinued models is because it is to their benefit, but so far they have been doing it for a wile.

TN - I guess I was a little harsh in my statement. Sorry. Given the local popularity with AL my gut tells me I'll get better support. Actually, my LDS likes both but most of their instructors use AL so they tend to be a little biased on capabilities and experience.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom