First big Atlantic storm brewing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simbrooks

Snr LayZboy Meteorologist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just checking the plots today in the eastern Atlantic and wondering if the large blob around Lat 10N and between Long 20 and 30 W is going to be the first real big storm of the year. Its pretty large, still near the African coast and has a few winds swirling as a low pressure system. They have it as a tropical wave, but who knows? I give a daily check on Crown Weather to see if anything is brewing.

Interesting site Simon. Thanks for sharing it -- and I'll keep and eye on that blob of weather.

The sun sentinel put out an article weds. The sea temp is 2 degrees less then last year, the bermuda high is further north and African Dust is suppressing any storms. Lets hope these conditions stay this way.

There is quite a large mass of something out there just south of the Canaries, although by the time it gets here a line of lows might well push it north just before it gets quite to the US. There are a couple of other areas, but this one seems to have a lot of activity according to the plots, its just not organized into anything as its only just left Africa.

I too hope the conditions are a bit better for us this year, but even though the trend may be there i feel you have to look at each storm coming in case by case.

simbrooks:
There is quite a large mass of something out there just south of the Canaries, although by the time it gets here a line of lows might well push it north just before it gets quite to the US. There are a couple of other areas, but this one seems to have a lot of activity according to the plots, its just not organized into anything as its only just left Africa.

I too hope the conditions are a bit better for us this year, but even though the trend may be there i feel you have to look at each storm coming in case by case.

Definitely.

Its all tea leaves, and bunions but I feel the Gulf is in for a stir this weekend.

Hey Simon - I've decided I'm not planning any dives this summer, taking them as they come....

If you want I can start planning dives and we'll have 20 storms in no time!

Siiiiiiiiigh.

I was to have left tomorrow for my first dive vacation all year - a trip to Nassau. Wouldn't you know it.

I do have travel insurance, but I'm not looking forward to potentially being trapped in Miami or out on the island...guess I'd better give a call to my agent and find out what conditions would provide for trip cancellation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom