Considering BP/wings setup...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brandon

Shop Independent Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm looking for some feedback before I purchase my first set of dive gear.

I was certified in February, in Valdez, AK. I currently have about 30 dives under my belt, and have finally decided that I enjoy diving here in Alaska and want to do it as often as I possibly can. That being true, I better think about buying myself some gear.

Here's my thoughts...

Currently I am open water certified, although I am starting AOW in the next week or two, and will continue with more classes in January (Want to do Rescue, Medic First Aid, and Oxygen Provided). I will also be enrolling in my University's Scientific Diver class.

I've already decided on some great gear (Dui dry suit, Apex regs, etc...), but the BC is still throwing me for a loop. I'm thinking it would be a wise choice to purchase a BP/Wings and gear that could be used in the future as part of a DIR system (haven't found someone who teaches the DIRf class here in Alaska yet, but I'm very interested), as it would be best suited to accomodate a variety of diving styles and goals.

I guess my question really boils down to what size of wing I should purchase. I was thinking that a 40lb Explorer wing on a SS backplate would be sufficient for diving single tanks (with an adapter), while still allowing me to double up a pair of alums 80s if I wanted to.

What's your opinion? I'm very interested in hearing it.

Brandon

As far as I undertand it, the Halcyon wings were designed for specific configurations. The Pioneer series was designed strictly for single tanks, while the explorer was designed strictly for doubles. You could use the Explorer in the single tank configuration, but then the wings fold up around the tank creating what I liken to a sail. I dove this very configuration for a while and absolutely hated it. If you like sailing underwater currents then go for it. :eek:ut:

My suggestion is to start out with the Pioneer and do single tank dives until you are ready for doubles. Then purchase the Explorer wing at that time.

If money is an issue, OMS makes a wing that is designed for both single and double tank diving. However I fear that if I mention this wing I will be skinned by certain individuals on the board...

Ok I'll give you a hint. It starts with "B' and ends with "ungied."

Yooper.... git ma skinnin knife!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

fairbanksdiver

Muddy gave you the straight scoop in the first part of his post but unfortunately fell into deleriums in the latter half. One size does not fit all.... get the pioneer. By the time you go doubles buying a extra wing will be a pitance.

thethumper wrote
Has anyone ever heard of a tiny co. called.......:banging:
Dive RITE??
Yeah, think so...

weren't they the Halcyon of their generation, way back in the day?

:jester:

Nice SPGs, that's for sure.

Diverite makes a 40# Trek wing that is designed for single tank and lightweight doubles. It lists for about $300, but can be bought for $250 or less depending on how hard you shop. Beats two Halcyon wings at $338 a shot. MIght well buy a Transpac ll while you are at it.

Unlike several others around here, I don't think that the backplate is the solution to all diving applications. Backplates have a very different feel from all other BC's. Better try one before you buy. If you like the BP after renting one, then there is no reason not to get one IMO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom