Regulator Necklace...how?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EliotD

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I bought a pony bottle finally, and I have been playing with configurations, I think I want to try a necklace for the reg coming from the pony bottle, only problem is, i cant figure out how on earth you rig one...help?

Bungee necklaces are normally used for your octo. Never seen anyone use one on a pony reg and I personally think it would be unwise.

A standard bungee necklace is made by tying a double fishermans knot with the loop formed between the two knots synched around the second stage mouthpiece at the ziptie. Just google fishermans knot and you'll get the idea. There are also other variations.

After trying just about every configuration known to man, I finally started slinging my stages in cool-aid drinker fashion. It works well and if you use yours for bailout you can hand it to a friend in need.

http://www.baue.org/images/galleries/equipment?&page=2

As Darkstar said the necklace is for your short hose (if you use the long/short system)..use a 40 inch hose tucked in bungies or inner tube around your tank, when you deploy your reg from your pony if goes around behind your head/neck back, tank goes on your left side.
Yarg

The reason you don't want a necklace on your pony is you've just neutralized one of the advantages of the pony - being able to hand it off to the OOA diver.

I don't mean for this to sound rude but don't just adopt techniques you see on the internet without first understanding them. I've seen this happen a lot with the necklace - saw one diver that necklaced his short-hose primary and had an air2 type backup... what was he going to donate to the OOA diver?!?!?

Proper set up with a bungy is Long hose primary 5-7 feet
octo bungied under your neck and pony bottle cliped off on you left side with cutable riging ie. no stainless hose clamps and the reg of the pony is held what ever way you like i use 2 peces of sergical tubing for the hose and a snorkel keeper to keep the reg in place

I just use a ss piston clip/dogclip when I use a pony to clip the second stage to my bc harness.

However I know of 2 easy ways to make a necklace. Some people just use the cable tie that holds on their reg mouthpiece to hold the 2 ends of a length of bungee that loops around the ir head. A disadvantage is that if the necklace gets pulled too hard, the mouthpeice may get pulled off the reg when the cable ties fail.

I actually use a second method when using doubles. This is a length of bungee with a loop in it that fits over the mouthpiece. The loop is made in the bungee just using cable ties - two at each end. I find the material in the bungee a little irritating so cover the bit near the mouthpiece with surgical rubber/silicone tubing - but most do not do this.

It may take a little experimentation to get the size of the loops right, so that the reg is not dangling in the way, and so the loop over the mouthpeice allows the reg to come out without losing the mouthpeice if it is pulled too hard, but still holds the reg securely. I have found that this system is reliable and easy to make and use.

Loosebits and company, I am a little surprised how much "free advice" there is out there.

I actually have more than a little experience diving with stage/pony bottles. I bought a pony bottle for quarry diving because I am often with younger/inexpeienced divers and have had my primary pulled from my mouth several times in OOA or low on air, or panic situations. I rigged the necklace for my own safety. I know and dive with a number of people who do it this way. I asked the question because I simply have never rigged a necklace.

Frankly I think its a little presumptive to assume that I or anyone else is simply "doing what they saw on the internet."

ForTheFight:
I actually have more than a little experience diving with stage/pony bottles.

ForTheFight:
I rigged the necklace for my own safety. I know and dive with a number of people who do it this way.

ForTheFight:
I asked the question because I simply have never rigged a necklace.

:confused:

Perhaps people seem presumptive because you haven't figured out how to stick two ends of a piece of surgucal tubing under a ziptie. But I'm just guessing...

[LEFT:
ForTheFight[/left]]
Loosebits
and company, I am a little surprised how much "free advice" there is out there.

I actually have more than a little experience diving with stage/pony bottles. I bought a pony bottle for quarry diving because I am often with younger/
inexpeienced
divers and have had my primary pulled from my mouth several times in OOA or low on air, or panic situations. I rigged the necklace for my own safety. I know and dive with a number of people who do it this way. I asked the question because I simply have never rigged a necklace.

Frankly I think its a little presumptive to assume that I or anyone else is simply "doing what they saw on the internet."

Uhh... ok.

Sounds like an extremely dangerous quarry (considering after 50 dives, this has happened multiple times). Perhaps you should consider a long hose setup. Since these panicked OOA divers keep going for the reg in your mouth, make that one the one you plan on donating.

PerroneFord:
Perhaps people seem presumptive because you haven't figured out how to stick two ends of a piece of surgucal tubing under a ziptie. But I'm just guessing...

It never occurred to me that it might be that simple...serves me right for not looking too hard at it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom