Attaching gear to D-rings w/zip ties?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skinsfan1311

Contributor
Reaction score
I just got a pair of EMT shears, with a sheath. The sheath has a belt loop, and a plastic D ring. (it's the one that Scuba Toys sells for around $12.00)

It's a tad too large for my BC pockets, (Zeagle Stiletto), and there isn't really any place convenient for the belt loop.

I have about a zillion zip-ties. It seems that it would be simple to use zip-ties, to attach the sheath to one of the "D" rings. Do people do that? Bolt snaps, or any of that type of hardware seems like over-kill to me.

Please bear with me and all my questions.....this is my first set of gear. I don't really have any friends nearby that dive, and the LDS is a little far. (I've been scaring the poor dog, trying on the BC in the living room ,messing around with it!) I have all of the basic gear, and I want to be streamlined.

I do have a dive vacation planned, in a couple of weeks. I do not have a place to try the gear, not even a pool! I contacted the shop, where I'll be diving. I'll be arriving too late for their morning 1 tank "orientation dive" so they offered me free use of their pool, (but I'm the only diver...no one to buddy with), They also gave me the option of doing a 1-tank shallow reef dive, when they take out their "resort course" divers. I opted for the dive!

I'd appreciate any hints, tips or suggestions, concerning gear configuration would be greatly appreciated.....thanks! Oh yeah...this is what I have...

Aqualung Legend LX w/ABS Octo
Scubamax mini-gauges, (SPG & depth gauge combo attached to bolt-snap w/an O-ring to clip off on "D" ring)
Zeagle Stiletto
Aeros Atmos 2 Wrist Computer
Ikelite PCA (I think that's the model...it's the small 4AA cell fit's in BC pocket)
I haven't got a compass yet...I'll likely try one out at the island

Again, any and all tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!!!!!!!

I used to use those before I got some of those brass clips. Make sure you're not clipping life support equipment (e.g. pony bottle) with them, and that they don't get in the way or damage your gear. Once they are in place, it'll be tough to remove them or change their location without cutting them... Can be a b**** when submerged...

IMHO, I would do it for the shears. Experienced scubaboarders will probably give you a more enlightened view...

YMMV...

Alex

My BC has 6 stainless D rings. After trying a bunch of ways of attaching things to them I discovered that they [stainless D rings] are pressed together. What I have done is spin them around in the nylon web with the seam on the D ring outside. Cut through the seam of the stainless D ring, spread it apart and attach the holders to it. I then press them back together and slide back into the nylon webbing. It is a pain in the butt to do but the end result is a very clean tight set up. I have a pic of it but I am unable to upload pictures. [Keep getting capacity error]

Charles.

I'd make sure of a couple of things. I'd make sure that it would not interefer with taking the shears in and out of the sheath. Make sure that it doesn't interfer with or catch any of your hoses. finally do a check on whether or not you can remove the shears with one hand and replace them as easily as possible.

Hi. I occasionally use a zip tie to attach a few small, non-life support equipment (such as light sticks) to my D rings too, like Abitton said above and remove them after the dive. Like he said, the important thing is not to attach stuff that can cause entanglement with zip ties - you have no way of releasing them easily.
The advantage of zip ties is they are cheap to replace and if you don't pull them all the way through, you can cut off the part threaded through and re-use them again.
I agree, the better alternative is to zip tie the pouch to a brass bolt clip (about $3 from hardware store) and then clip them to the D-clip. It's safer this way - you can remove them simply by unclipping, and the brass clip should last much longer than those more expensive plastic ones. This way it is modular as well - you only clip it on dives where it is needed and not have it on every dive.
Dive safely.

If you have a chest strap on your BC you could thread it through the loop on the sheath and its right there out of the way.

I have a Stiletto. The big loop on the sheath should fit on the cumberbun. Actually the way I liked to carry them was without the sheath, in the pocket pointy end to the front. I slid a hose keeper over the buisness end when stowed. They tuck inside the pocket securely without falling out when the pocket is unzipped.

Two words. Bolt snap. Easy on, easy off.

i had the same issue you did but what i did is i bought a horizontal holster like the same one i use for work and i attached it to my cumberbun. so its like your wearing a duty belt, very sleek and out of the way and easy to get to. And alittle hint when buying emt shears, don't bother paying 12 each at a lds get online at a medical supply website like boundtree.com and you can order like 12 for $5.

I attach my EMT shears sheath (which sounds just like yours) to my Stiletto using a piece of double-sided Velcro through the "belt loop" on the back of the sheath. The Velcro goes through one of the loops on my shoulder strap, leaving my D-rings for other things. It keeps the sheath flat against my body so nothing's dangling, and up near where my hands are. I mount mine handle down, since otherwise the handles end up near my head.

I don't like the idea of using zip-ties since they can be quite hard to cut underwater unless you can really see what you're doing.

Back
Top Bottom