How often do you wrap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MASS-Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys,

I've heard the two extreme for how often you should wrap (tieoff) your wreck reel line inside a wreck. On school of thought is that in an emergency wraps can really slow down your exit, increase the risk of theh line snapping, and should be done only when the direction of travel changes. The other side is that you tie off all the time, espcially if vis is bad.

Thoughts? Anyone have the most up-to-date thinking on this matter?

I tie off when I enter the wreck and then again 4ft in. Then I make wraps every time I make a turn or descend down a stairs or up. Having wraps become a non issue in an emergency situation where you need to get out fast because you would leave the reel or cut it and just follow your line out with out unwrapping anything.

scubanarc once bubbled...
I tie off when I enter the wreck and then again 4ft in. Then I make wraps every time I make a turn or descend down a stairs or up. Having wraps become a non issue in an emergency situation where you need to get out fast because you would leave the reel or cut it and just follow your line out with out unwrapping anything.

This is the basically way I do it also. In an emergency, ditch the reel.

I make my first tie 5 or so feet inside usually, then a second at 10-15 feet depending on diver traffic at the site. You don't want a gomer following you in!

Tom

IMO, in wreck diving just as in cave diving good line placement is important. You also want to minimize the effort, complexity and therefore time required to run or retrieve the line. So...beyond your primary and secondary tie offs you put them where they are needed to avhieve good and secure placement. The time it takes to run or retrieve the line is a consideration for efficiency and ease of following the line. In an emergency we simply follow the line to open water leaving the reel.

It is a good idea to wrap the line if it could become an entanglement hazard on the way back. Swimming through a floating maze of line is not something that makes sense.

Robert

DocRCH once bubbled...
It is a good idea to wrap the line if it could become an entanglement hazard on the way back. Swimming through a floating maze of line is not something that makes sense.

Robert

The line MUST be kept snug if not tight, floating slack is never ok.

Tom

The line should be tied off outside the wreck so if your following the line in bad viz you know that if you follow it to the end then your out of the wreck. You tie off around corners, stairs, pipes & obstructions in a way that means your always in contact with the line. The reel is about £40. Your life is worth a little bit more so leave the reel.
Good diving
Rob

Back
Top Bottom