Dive mag regulator reviews?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

serrada:
I saw a review of regulators online (http://www.cyber-diver.com/gear_buyers_guide.html) and it had the Mares Proton Ice listed No. 1 followed by the others Apeks etc. Mean while Scuba Magazine didn’t rate them as good as the others what gives?

Who knows? Maybe the review you read was funded by Mares. Even if they were honest reviews, it's quite reasonable for reviews to vary. They are likely to use different methodologies, and all the reviews I've read are primarily subjective. You may as well expect all the car magazines to agree on "best sports car."

LOL!!!

Oh MAN, thank you for posting that!

Mares Proton beats out Apeks ATX200, and Sherwood Maximus beats out the ScubaPro Mk25! And the Atomics are the bottom of the heap!

For even more hilarity, we move to computers where the Cochran Genesis beats all comers!! And the Aeris whips up on the Vyper and the Cobra!

Well, at least we know that the illegal drugs sold in some countries is going to a good home...

Don't believe everything you read on the internet... As Perrone said, many articles are directed to support their sponsors.

Well, I don't know about you, but I DO own the two top regs in the article, and can compare them side by side any time I want. My ATX200 has been relegated to back-up duty in the dive bag. The Proton Ice's do breathe smooth and easy, and the bubbles go where I like them to-probably one of the reasons that Apeks' XTX line comes with extra exhaust tees. I agree though, the test looks pretty subjective. Try to get 10 divers to agree on anything.

PerroneFord:
LOL!!!

Oh MAN, thank you for posting that!

Mares Proton beats out Apeks ATX200, and Sherwood Maximus beats out the ScubaPro Mk25! And the Atomics are the bottom of the heap!

For even more hilarity, we move to computers where the Cochran Genesis beats all comers!! And the Aeris whips up on the Vyper and the Cobra!

Well, at least we know that the illegal drugs sold in some countries is going to a good home...

The Halcyon Eclipse didn't even show up on the list of BCs.

SparticleBrane:
The Halcyon Eclipse didn't even show up on the list of BCs.

I guess they didn't like the inflators.

Diver Dennis:
Don't believe everything you read on the internet... As Perrone said, many articles are directed to support their sponsors.

I'd also go further to say don't believe everything you read in Scuba Diving magazine either. They too seem to be a "slave" to their sponsors/advertisers.

I will say though in the SD mag regulator reviews that the Apeks, Atomics, AL, Scubapro regs are excellent regs and most likely ranked at the top over some of the others, as they should be. Some of their other equipment and location reviews seem much more biased though.

I find it odd though that they always seem to test the same manufacturers over and over hardly ever adding a "new" or little un-heard of brand to their test group.

To be fair, some manufacturers choose not to participate. You have to remember that many small "niche" players WANT to be that way. If their product suddenly becomes the hot new thing, they could never meet demand, and would sacrifice customer service and relationships by being overwhelmed with demand.

I was quite surprised to see Tobin's BP/W submitted. Although I thought overall the comparison was laughable. I was shocked to see them actually acknowledge the BP/W though

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom