Paul's Shrimpboat and West Beach Paddlewheeler 7-16-6 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Paul's Shrimpboat 7-16-6

I met up with USCGflyer this afternoon for a couple of dives. First we went to Paul's Shrimpboat for a dive. Surf was running shin-knee high and visibility was questionable from the surface. Skies were overcast, not helping the situation. We geared up and hit the water, which was at a balmy 85F. I wore a skin to protect me against the jellies I found on my previous dive onsite. Turned out not to be necessary, as we didn't run into any jellyfish this time. Another difference from the last time I led a dive to this site was the fact that I actually found it :p We saw flounder, mangroves, pinfish, blennies and spades for the most part. There were blue crab hanging around pretty much any nook they could fit under as well. Visibility range from 2-4'. I hit a max depth of 18' for a total dive time of 88 minutes.

West Beach Paddlewheeler 7-16-6

Slightly better than an hour and a half later, we were back in the water. This time in Gulf Shores diving the West Beach Paddlewheeler. Surf and temperature were running the same as the previous dive and visibility was very murky around the break. Hoping visibility would improve, we continued with the dive. Unfortunately, we never broke free of the 6"(inches) - 2' of visibility. I hit a max depth of 16' for a dive lasting an entire 18 minutes before we called it. Visibility just wasn't conducive to the diving we intended(shooting fish on this particular dive). However, we still managed a single flounder :D The night was salvaged and we hit up the Hooters in Gulf Shores before parting ways and heading home.

Had a great time regardless of conditions, still got a fish too :D

I think metal cutting wheels next time?!... Plus more air and more time.

Back
Top Bottom