Help please, selecting a wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

R

redacted

36th anniversary is coming up and I think that one is BP/wing. Isn't it?

So here is what I'm looking for. I'm a single tank, warm water, recreational diver with no designs beyond that. I often carry a pony depending on depth. I currently use a Seaquest BC with a Scubapro Air2 and a pull dump valve. I want to keep the Air2 and pull dump valve on the BP/wing. The Seaquest elbow assembly valve has a 2 inch diameter attachment at the BC, so a wing with 2 inch diameter screw in opening on the shoulder would be great. And if that would be the Halycon 27# pioneer life couldn't get much better. If not, can someone tell me what size the Halycon valve is so I can go looking for a compatible pull dump valve that would fit? And does anyone know of another brand wing that has the 2 inch diameter connecter as that would be another option?

I have a pull dump on my Dive rite travel wing. You may check out the Diverite's. Are you dead set on having the inflator pull dump on your wing? And why? Perhaps you could consider a different backup/secondary reg setup?

I am not sure I read you right... but it sounds like you are talking about the inflator hose pull dump, that you pull on to dump air from the wing/bc?

Yes, I am talking about the BC air dump valve at the BC end of the corrugated hose used to inflate/deflate the BC.

The Air2 allows me to take or leave the pony without having to reconfigure my reg for an alternate air source when the pony stays dry. The pull dump makes using the air2 a bit easier. Overcomes the reported problem of removing the air2 from your mouth to dump air. Plus I have been very happy with the performance of the Seaquest pull dump valve. Can you tell me what the fitting size is on your diverite wing? I unscrewed my valve and used a simple ruler to measur the diameter.

Thanks.

I don't understand why you would need to reconfigure your reg when diving with a pony if you are using a standard reg configuration. Could you please explain this?

JamesK once bubbled...
I don't understand why you would need to reconfigure your reg when diving with a pony if you are using a standard reg configuration. Could you please explain this?

If I give up the air2 for a std inflator, then I have to add a standard octo to my rig when not carrying the pony. If I carried the pony all the time, i wouldn't need the octo but I do a fair amount of shallow diving in a river with lots of weed where the pony just becomes a weed catcher. When I carry the pony, then I would rather not have the additional second alternate air source (the std octo) on the rig. That octo would them be an unnecessary potential failure point and I would have to also deal with the mounting location problem. Didn't take me long when I went to the pony to lose the octo holder and go to a bungeed necklace.

awap once bubbled...

If I give up the air2 for a std inflator, then I have to add a standard octo to my rig when not carrying the pony. If I carried the pony all the time, i wouldn't need the octo but I do a fair amount of shallow diving in a river with lots of weed where the pony just becomes a weed catcher. When I carry the pony, then I would rather not have the additional second alternate air source (the std octo) on the rig. That octo would them be an unnecessary potential failure point and I would have to also deal with the mounting location problem. Didn't take me long when I went to the pony to lose the octo holder and go to a bungeed necklace.

Why not keep your primary reg setup the same all the time (primary second stage plus a backup), and sling your pony off your side as a stage bottle with its own regulator?

jonnythan once bubbled...

Why not keep your primary reg setup the same all the time (primary second stage plus a backup), and sling your pony off your side as a stage bottle with its own regulator?

The slung pony is probably in the cards when I get the BP/wing. But if I can find a wing with with the 2" dump valve opening, then I don't limit any of my options.

My last trip to Cozumel, I stayed down south and dove with papa hog. They were great but those small fast boats, the southern pickup, and my old back made managing the pony too dificult. I had a good buddy (my wife) so it really wasn't a problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom