Miracle on Unlucky Thirteen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Smedley

Tommy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
July 17, 2006

This Saturday past a whole group of us Hodaggs headed out on an adventure that just could have been guided by Devine intervention. We stood on deck and discussed several off-shore sites. We needed a good place to begin our three-tank diving day. None of us had been to the Chippewa for several years so that seemed to be the best decision.

The seas were calm and the breeze cool against our faces as we sailed past the rocks. Then, almost as if in unison, the whole group decided that it would be better to hit bridge span thirteen first, then go to the Chippewa second. Following unknown instincts, we agreed on the span first.

Span thirteen, is so far out that few divers have experienced her. She lies at 103 feet and is in clear water. As soon as I jumped in I could see the structure seventy feet below. My heart raced at the thought of a new and unknown location as I free descended to the sand.

Almost immediately, scattered pieces of turtle skeleton reminded me of “unlucky thirteen.” We swam alongside the structure and as I rounded the corner I spotted an intact sea biscuit shell. I started toward it and Kathy scooped it up with my hand less than two feet away. I thought, “Another victim of old number thirteen, what force brought me here?”

We looked at marvelous creatures and searched for more. Then Jerry saw her, a sea turtle entangled in fishing line and struggling. She seemed to look at him through sad eyes that said “help me please!” Jerry rushed to her side and began cutting her bonds. She swam quickly toward the surface. Once, she turned and looked back as if to say, “Dude, I’d like to hang around but I so need a breath!”

I don’t have any idea what brought us there first, I like to think that it was a guiding hand. Whatever it was makes no difference, what matters is that another of God’s magnificent creations lives and swims free. Thanks Jerry for your quick reaction and your heart of gold.

Live long and large little sea turtle. Make lots more like you and bring smiles to the faces of those lucky enough to witness your grace and your beauty.

I agree great story, and great job on the save guys!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom