Alright, why don't more shops sell BP+Wing setups

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Genesis

Contributor
Reaction score
Gezus.

I finally got to dive my wing+BP setup today in "real" water.

Two dives, both to roughly 90', in water with vis of about 10' (yucky for around here - worst I've seen here since being certified other than on a night dive) and tons of jellyfish tentacles embedded in the water! (ouch on the face!)

First thoughts (my hair is still wet :))

Swimming trim. Zero issues. In fact, its amazing how nicely this rig floats you. It just "disappears" under water. What position would you like to be in? Just do it. No problem. The harness keeps the rig dead-solid and unitized with you while underwater.

BC venting - best I've ever dove. No air trapping AT ALL. I can dump from either end without trouble. Ascents are trivial using breathing and a bit of dribbling from the bladder once in a while to "reset" your lung calibration as you rise. I like it - a LOT!

Surface trim. Zero issues. No "throws you on your face" as some have alleged. No problems at all.

Drag. WAY less than my Nighthawk. The difference in effort into a current is astounding. And today there was a LOT of surface and mid-level current, which had an ugly effect on my SAC. Not much you can do about that one.

I can actually SEE my SPG and Computer while clipped off on the left D-ring. That's a MAJOR improvement over a regular BC. For routine checks I don't have to unclip it, which I really, really, really like.

I have one - and only one - issue.

The long hose is fine.

However, I do not like the routing I have for the backup at all.

The SP Mk25 reg has a turret in an "L" configuration. With it "down", I have the backup host potentially in a position where it could roll off the tank valve (under the valve knob). With the turret rolled to the right so that the HP and primary LP hoses exit downward, there is a different problem; now the backup comes out of the reg at an upward angle and its in my peripheral vision field all the time, which is EXTREMELY annoying.

Any idea on this one from someone who has rigged a single tank with a BP+Wing+Long hose?

Genesis once bubbled...
Any idea on this one from someone who has rigged a single tank with a BP+Wing+Long hose?
You're gonna hate me for sure now... and not just cause I'm always right... but the answer to your problem is one word:

Apeks. :eek:ut:

Sigh.... :)

(What, my MK25 is gonna end up being a STAGE regulator? :))

Genesis once bubbled...
Sigh.... :)

(What, my MK25 is gonna end up being a STAGE regulator? :))
That's what my original Mk20s have become, along with my Apeks DSTs.

Roak

Why dont shops sell BP's and harness's?

Think about it, Once you have a Good BP and a wing or two, would you ever need to go back?

However, if you go buy a HUB, youll be back for the Ranger, then a TPII, then youll realise how much money you have just wasted, email EE and be happy for the rest of your life. (not necessarily in that brand, range or order).

Who wins?

The Store owner, Ebay and some fellow who just picked up a new Ranger for $150.00.

Dave

I already have a room for pinball machines.

Am I going to end up with a whole ROOM full of Scuba gear? It looks that way from what I can see! Argh! :)

I think I may have found an acceptable solution to the hose problem. Will try it Thursday if the weather holds and see...

One other question for those of you who dive BP+Wing setups exclusively - I had a minor issue with reg interference with my head today. It was only an issue if I was looking forward and purely prone (that is, maximum neck excursion upward) but it was there and a bit annoying.

I have the tank mounted as far down as I can reasonably go; I'm using an OMS STA with cam bands, and the top band is right at the break of the tank - no way to go lower with it. My BP is at the "recommended" height and seems to fit very well.

I CAN get to my valve (barely)....

Is this just one of those "don't do that" kind of things? I don't want to move the tank UP; I suspect that will cause all kinds of trim problems and just make my head one with the tank instead of the reg....

whole room - heck no, try a whole hosue full!!

No need to replace the SP - I use them and have them no where near the tank valve or my periphery vision, just have a play with different routing. I know certain people are not going to like this suggestion (APEKS dealers for a start - not to mention others) but you could have your hoses on different posts to what you probably have now.

Looking forward to playing with my BP for the first time in almost 2 years this weekend!

Jonathan

1. A lot of people find them to be uncomfortable. The two main complaints are that the straps bind under the armpits and that the bottom of theplate digs into the back.

2. The BP harness is not all that easy to adjust. As it is very stiff it can't be adjusted in the water. The result is a trial and error process until the user is comfortable (if at all).

I do not deny that a BP/wing is very hydrodynamic, offers great trim, is elegant in it's simplicity and is so tough you would need to run it over with an F150 to break it. It is just not the ticket for everyone, everywhere.

There are also some issues with using a single tank with a BP. While the BP may provide an ideal mounting for manifolded doubles on the back, many other configerations allow a single tank to be closer to the diver's back.

Some alternatives may not be as clean, but the difference between some of these alternatives and a BP, in terms of hydrodynamic performance, are tiny compared to differences in the diver's breathing and finning techniques, IMHO.

SO......

So your saying some dive shops dont carry BP and wing setups because SOME divers find them just a little uncomfortable, BUT they would rather sell a BC that is a little more restricting, a little more cumbersome ,not as streamlined, not quite as safe, higher in cost, has more "things" on it to go wrong and is NEVER used in extreme diving operations?

Well that kind of makes sense..........:confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom