Aqualung Legend ACD vs Legend LX ACD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stormbringer

Contributor
Reaction score
What's the advantage/disadvantage of having the adjustable Legend LX 2nd stage over the non-adjustable Legend ACD. The dive shop I just bought my new Legend from mixed up and sold me the Legend ACD rather than the Legend LX ACD that I had specifically asked for. I just want to know is there any reason I should get the Legend LX ACD over the Legend ACD besides the fact that I had specifically asked for the LX reg in the first place? I'm just a recreational diver not planning on any tek or extreme wreck or cavern diving.

The LX is adjustable, which you noted, but I think you'll find that most divers hardly ever adjust their 2nd stage once they get it set the way they like it (which is typically wide open or almost wide open).

the main advantage is if it free flows when not in your mouth you can "tune" it down some.

I hope if they gave you the "lessor" 2nd stage they knocked off aobut $100 bucks. (that's about what the price difference is).

Assuming that the reg was tuned properly at the shop the adjustment will allow you to detune the reg. This could be needed for three reasons that I know of:
1. Time and use have set the seat and it will leak if it isn't slightly detuned. This will allow you to make it through a trip without service.
2. If swimming into a very strong current you can detune to prevent the same thing.
3. With the Legend and Apeks line the first stage is unbalanced (AL overbalanced) based on depth. So the second stage has to be in effect detuned a bit to compensate for this. The adjustment can tune a bit at the surface to handle this.

I have a plain Legend and I find it breaths effortlessly as it is and it has never bled air. Perhaps it could be tuned a bit better but I doubt I could tell. It does save money and gets rid of one more knob to play with so that is the route I went.

I paid $540 for the lesser plain jane Legend ACD with the free Octo. Still I feel a bit hosed as I had specifically asked for the full blown Legend LX. I don't think I got a great deal, its pretty much mfg sug retail pricing esp., since it wasn't what I had originally asked for in the first place.

Actually, the last time I looked, the MSR was $499 for the Legend & $599 for the Legend LX. So unless it went up in the last month or so, I'd say you got taken advantage of.

For that price, you should get a partial refund (or credit on other gear) or send it back and get the LX installed. As far as the adjustable flow, I make adjustments depending on the dive profile/depth.

Stormbringer:
I paid $540 for the lesser plain jane Legend ACD with the free Octo. Still I feel a bit hosed as I had specifically asked for the full blown Legend LX. I don't think I got a great deal, its pretty much mfg sug retail pricing esp., since it wasn't what I had originally asked for in the first place.

The MSRP is $495 on the AL Legend ACD. Did your price include the tax? Also, AL allowes dealers to give no more than a 10% discount currently. You should have walkedout the door with the octopus for $445.50 plus local taxes.

The AL Legend LX MSRP is $595. You should have paid $535.50 with the octopus. Show this to your dealer and let me know what happens.

I just got off the phone with the local dealer (Dive World in San Antonio, TX) I bought it from...no offer to refund any difference from the mfg retail price so I'm going to get my regs from home after work and return them for a full refund. I'll venture up to Austin and get them from Tom's Dive Shop at least they are not out to rip me off.

I just checked also.
Here's is the "List Prices" of the regulators in question (and a few others).

Aqualung Legend - $495
Aqualung Legend LX - $595
Aqualung Legend LX Supreme - $610
Aqualung Titan LX - $365
Aqualung Caypso - $240

Though Aqualung makes its dealers sign an agreement not to sell for less than 10% below "list price", you can still find these regulators for 20% to 30% off list and still get great service.

However, not all dealers are "fully participating" in the "free octo" deal. it's optional for them to participate. The reason is that Aqualung doesn't make it easy on them to get free octo's. The dealers have to order and pay for the octo's up front and they basically send in a 'rebate request' to get rembursed for the 'free octo'. I don't think they get a full rembursement either. Because of this it might be harder to find a dealer give you 20% to 30% off list.

Apparantly your local delaer (Dive World) is set in that 'old time' mentality that they can continue to screw customers. pretty soon they won't have any lef.

Well, I got my money back...still not happy about the way I was treated. I had asked specifically for the Legend LX on the phone and later in Dive World San Antonio's dive shop and I ended up getting the non LX "plain jane" Legend ACD for over the suggested retail price of $495 (they charged me $540 plus tax...around $583). What kills me is that after having bought a new tank there recently and other items they would rather I go up to Austin to buy my new regulator than to match the "retail" price of the Austin store. That's just a lousy way to run a business as I see it and they won't get any more of my money. The tank I bought comes with a free year of air and that is all they'll see of me till that expires. As fate would have it my van started having some problems that need work on so I'm going to wait and decide what to do on the reg thing after the van has been repaired.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom