Scubapro failure at depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gotsand

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I dive a MK20/G250HP/R390 setup.

On the second dive of the day, my second stage completely flooded while at 85 ft.

After dealing with the annoyance of a sudden lung full of salt water, I was able to clear the flood after 3-4 breaths (a little less water with each breath until clear).

The reg would then breathe fine until I looked down, then it would flood again. I could hear the water filling the hose each time it happened. Again, it was clearable with some work (don't get me wrong, the experience was not fun).

Switching to my octo was no help as it did the exact same thing.

No bubbles were observed coming from my first stage. After some cursing, a topside inspection revealed no cracks, etc.

Both second stages had no leaks when dry breathing on a closed tank.

The reg is currently at LDS, I'm waiting for a verdict.

This seems pretty unusual, any ideas on what happened?

Would anyone recommend diving this reg again even after service, or do I now have a Scubapro paperweight and a story? Thanks for the suggestions.

Not sure what the problem was but your LDS should be able to come up with something. I doubt it will become a paperweight.

I like the scubapro regs. Hopefully they will check it out and the problem will fade. However... if you want to get rid of the setup let me know.

Did you check for water in the tank? The symptoms just don't sound like a 1st stage failure and having both 2nd fail in the same manner is too much coincidence. A tank half full of water fits the symptoms.

When you say, looked down, do you mean that you moved to a head down position? I would check the tank you were using for water in it. Being able to breath normally (no water) in a head up position and getting water in a head down position makes this suspect.

<edit>Boy I must type slow!

I agree, sounds like a gross amount of water in the tank along with possibly a missing dip tube on the valve. Question is how did that much water get in it. Was it your tank or a rental? In either case whoever you rented from or fills your own tank needs a talking to.

when they open the reg, it might have salts/corrosion chunks that would mean the water came from the tank, I think. Kinda makes you want to invert at the beginning of your dive, huh?

They were rental tanks and I didn't think to specifically check for water in them prior to returning them. But, I moved each tank numerous times (shop, truck, garage, truck, boat, and back) and did not hear or feel water sloshing around inside any of the tanks. Not to say it wasn't there, but one would think it would be noticable. To duplicate what was experienced the tank would have to have a hefty volume of salt water inside. No idea why a tank would be filled with salt water.

When I say the regs flooded when looking down, I didn't mean total body inversion (although that did it too) rather just a tilt of the head "seemed" to do it.

I say "seemed" because I didn't spend a long time experimenting with what was causing the problem. Surfacing safely and calmly was my main concern.

Food for thought: Another LDS I trust mentioned that they thought a specific failure dealing with the composite (plastic) internals and accompanying o-ring(s) in the SP 1st stages (MK20 & 25) could theoretically pump water into the second stage(s).

I usually spearfish and always get down ASAP, in the process I am inverted at the beginning of a dive. The 2nd stage did not flood until I was at the bottom. If it was water in the tank I think I would have flooded on the way down?

gotsand:
They were rental tanks and I didn't think to specifically check for water in them prior to returning them. But, I moved each tank numerous times (shop, truck, garage, truck, boat, and back) and did not hear or feel water sloshing around inside any of the tanks. Not to say it wasn't there, but one would think it would be noticable. To duplicate what was experienced the tank would have to have a hefty volume of salt water inside. No idea why a tank would be filled with salt water.

When I say the regs flooded when looking down, I didn't mean total body inversion (although that did it too) rather just a tilt of the head "seemed" to do it.

I say "seemed" because I didn't spend a long time experimenting with what was causing the problem. Surfacing safely and calmly was my main concern.

Food for thought: Another LDS I trust mentioned that they thought a specific failure dealing with the composite (plastic) internals and accompanying o-ring(s) in the SP 1st stages (MK20 & 25) could theoretically pump water into the second stage(s).

well let us know what you find out. It has to be distal to the second stages, either the first stage or the tank, I would think. I am not sure, but I don't think liquid in a tank under pressure would be discernable.

Back
Top Bottom