Irritation with new Alpha 8

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PaulVS

Contributor
Reaction score
I just purchased all Oceanic gear this spring. (BCD, computer, reg, octo, fins, mask, snorkel, wetsuit)

I'm mostly happy with everything... but the PX-3 1st stage of my Alpha 8 regulator.

With the hoses mounted in the 'normal' position - the reg line & BC inflator line aim more at my back than around my back... causing the reg to tug out of my mouth. The angle of these two hoses is something like 130 degrees, whereas it should be almost 180 degrees, in my opinion.

That particular problem can be solved by mounting the 1st stage 'upside-down' on the tank - but then another problem is created... the port-mounting part of the first stage is so long that it hits the back of my head when looking up. (unless I mount the tank ridiculously low, which causes problem #1 to reappear.

The mounting design of the non-balanced Alpha 8 1st stage (vertical hose mounting) seems to be a better system.

Any suggestions?

Can you post a picture of how it is together? I've been diving almost exclusivly balanced iston regs that share the same configuration on the first stage for almost 12 years (except for one 2 1/2 year break).

Best,

Chris

Here's how I have it set up presently. The ports are "up" because the annoyance of not being able to look up is better than having the reg 'tug' out of my mouth...

IMG_1404.jpg

I'll re-attach the hoses with the ports "down" and take a picture to post, as well.

Thanks.

I went to Haigh Quarry last week and was able to try some other configurations. None of them are acceptable. I did reverse the hoses and flip the 1st stage so it looks like this:

alpha-2.jpg

The angle of the regulator and the BCD inflator is too tight. Both of them aim at my back more than around my back. I should add that I'm a 'normal' sized person. (6'2", 218lbs) so I don't see how I can be the only person with this problem.

I have looked at other company's first stages and don't see any that have such a severe angle between the BCD port and the 1st stage port. Most of them are nearly horizontally opposed. Additionally, the location of the octopus port interferes with the tank valve knob. I asked several experienced divers at the quarry what their opinion was and frankly they thought it was just poor design on the part of Oceanic.

I also have tried swapping the regulator and octo in the above picture... without success.

As of right now, I think the only solution is to spend another $150 or so on an integrated BCD/Octo (Air XS 2) so I can get rid of the octo completely.... or just get another regulator like my wife's Dacor Eagle Pro which has a vertically designed port configuration. (Similar to the unbalanced Alpha 8 first stage.)

PaulVS:
I went to Haigh Quarry last week and was able to try some other configurations. None of them are acceptable. I did reverse the hoses and flip the 1st stage so it looks like this:

alpha-2.jpg

The angle of the regulator and the BCD inflator is too tight. Both of them aim at my back more than around my back. I should add that I'm a 'normal' sized person. (6'2", 218lbs) so I don't see how I can be the only person with this problem.

I have looked at other company's first stages and don't see any that have such a severe angle between the BCD port and the 1st stage port. Most of them are nearly horizontally opposed. Additionally, the location of the octopus port interferes with the tank valve knob. I asked several experienced divers at the quarry what their opinion was and frankly they thought it was just poor design on the part of Oceanic.

I also have tried swapping the regulator and octo in the above picture... without success.

As of right now, I think the only solution is to spend another $150 or so on an integrated BCD/Octo (Air XS 2) so I can get rid of the octo completely.... or just get another regulator like my wife's Dacor Eagle Pro which has a vertically designed port configuration. (Similar to the unbalanced Alpha 8 first stage.)

I honestly find the PX3 works well when I use it on a single tank/recreational setup, however it sure doesn't seem to be working for you. How about we switch it for you to a CDX5 and you try that and see if it works for you?

PM me your details.

Best,

Chris

Chris -

Now that's what I call customer service!

Thanks for your prompt response.

Paul

No worries.

For others that see this post and are having the same issue try putting the inflator hose one port back from what is shown in the second picture. I honestly have never had another complaint about this and dive it that way myself and enjoy it.

Best,

Chris

Swapped the Alpha 8 (+ $150.00) for a Delta IV, which I haven't had a chance to try out yet.

It looks like the routing will be better since the ports aim more outward than at my back. And the swivel on the 2nd stage should be a big plus.

Kudos to Oceanic & ScubaToys for taking care of this for me. Although I'm quite surprised that no one else has experienced this aggravation... that fact is a testament to how concerned Oceanic is about their customers.

Great response, guys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom