Regulator "Buzzing"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlent

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a Sherwood Blizzard and I recently had it's yearly service done. The regulator works perfectly in the water, but it makes a buzzing sound if you breathe while looking down while out of the water. This never happened before it was serviced. Any idea what is causing this?

i have a scubapro that does that but its not just when looking down.. it does it anytime i exhale out of water.. i think it has something to do with the diaphram not having the pressure of water of the other side or something like that... in your case it might be a little loose or not seated properly so when u look down it falls a bit out of place and has room to vibrate.. well let me know if u come up with a fix for it and gl :D

I occassionally run into this with SP D400's and it is almost impossible to make it stop on regulators where it occurs.

It is however normal and occurs on many models of second stages as the diaphragm is usually retained by some form of screwed in retainer which can stress the diaphragm in a different orientation that it used to be in. In my experience, the diaphragm gets itself re-oriented after a given amount of use and the problem often goes away on it's own.

But as inidcated above, it's not an issue to be concerned with as in the water, the water dampens any vibration and prevents any irritating noises.

My Mares Proton Ice does the same thing. No problems with it under water whatsoever. Just the annoying vibrating diaphram when on the surface.

Normal out of water.

If the buzzing is coming from the first stage, I had the similar problem once when I got my old blizzard back from servicing. In the water, look for a greater amount (and perhaps larger bubbles) coming from the dry-bleed port.

The problem (in my reg) was that the tech that assembled and adjusted the reg damaged on of the internal parts. I think the part was the piston seat.

Also, from the Sherwood service manual:

D. Humming or Buzzing During Inhalation:

Cause: Harmonic resonance between the springs and the mass of the piston.

Solution: Disassemble the first stage and flip the main spring over. Change the position of the piston in its bore. If resonance is still present, install a new piston and spring.

Either way, take it back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom