Weightbelt on Vacation

Do you bring your weights on a fly-away vacation?

• Yes

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • No

Votes: 95 77.9%
  • I have integrated weights

Votes: 27 22.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zboss

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All -

I am new to diving and just wondering how common it is to take your own weight belt and weights on vacation with you. I can see the case for integrated systems... so if you are bringing ten pounds of integrated...

Also - what are the airlines policies on the weight of bags?

thanks!

Integrated or not, it's the same lead. Almost all dive ops supply weights as part of the package.

Many folks who use bags with shot weight bring the bags too as those are not as widely available.

I have integrated weights, but i still don't travel with weights. I do carry a spare weightbelt, just because I know it fits and the buckle is good. Rental weights work just fine on the belt and in my Ranger.

I don' know of anyone who air travels with their weights, and would recommend against it, but I'm curious to see if that's true everywhere and with everyone (well, I don't travel much, anyway)..

I had to pay an overweight charge one time for my luggage. It was 150 pounds overweight! I wasn't carrying my weight belt either and yes I carry my own luggage. Luckily they let me buy an extra seat on the plane because that was cheaper than paying the overweight fee!

OK, OK I know you're dying to know. My dive bag was lost when I made a connection flying to our destination so it came to the island by itself. Coming home I not only had the dive gear but I was bringing back some sand and shells as souveniers in my other bag, that stuff gets heavy in a hurry.
Ber :bunny:

But, I need very little weight. If it is a warm water destination and I will just be wearing a shorty or a dive skin then about 4lb to 6lb of lead is all I need. My BCD is weight integrated so I have a few 1lb shot pouches that I throw in the bag. I've never been over weight on the plane - maybe it is because other than my gear I only have a few shorts and T-shirts in my bag :)

I do have an integrated weight system, but I don't bring lead with me on trips that involve flying. It just doesn't seem worth hauling weights around. I have brought my own belt, though, before I got the current BC -- I know what condition the buckle is in, and the belt was cut to a reasonable length.

I took weights in my bag when I flew down to NC. My overall gear bag was still under 70 lbs so I didn't get hit with an extra fee. The extra weight wasn't too terribly bad, and I couldn't see paying $3 a day for a weight belt...

Ber Rabbit once bubbled...
I was bringing back some sand and shells as souveniers in my other bag, that stuff gets heavy in a hurry.
Ber :bunny:
\

....GASP !!!! :whack:

I bring my own weight. My equipment, large pelican case and 10 pounds of weight weighs about 62 pounds. I do worry about a time in the future when I bring my gear back without having time to dry it out completely such that I am over the limit. But I guess the 24 hour no fly rule will probably mean that will never happen.

Back
Top Bottom