Hurricane lesons learned

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FredT

Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Several of the moderators suggested I dig this up, add what Katrina taught us and repost this for those who haven't seen it before on other boards.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

A tip for those in hurricane country: NEVER throw away a 5-gallon bucket, or it's lid!

For those who have never been though one of these things or others in hurricane or winter storm areas here are a few things we've learned from hard experience after seeing the eye wall of 5 hurricanes, above and beyond what the media will tell you. We are also still recovering from the effects of a direct hit by Katrina, but I didn’t hang out for that one. With luck and a good contractor we may have a roof and 4 walls again by Christmas ’06, and able to move back in by Easter ’07. As a side note we are blessed to have one of the 10% of the pre-Katrina houses in Pass Christian that is even repairable. 85-90% of the homes there on August 28th, 2005 are slabs or steps now, if the storm left that much.

Things to add to your emergency supplies:

1. Hurricane lamps with spare WICKS! Fuel enough to run them for a month.

2. Citronella oil for the hurricane lamps. Mosquitoes thrive after a ‘cane! Mixing citronella into the hurricane lamp fuel 1:3 will keep most of them out of your sleeping area if you keep a minimum light going all night.

3. Lots of extra Coleman lantern mantles and the adapter to run them off the large 20-lb. bottles if they're the propane type. Spare generators for liquid fueled ones and ¬globes.

4. A spare chain saw bar, at least two spare chains, a backup pull rope assembly, and a spare carb/air cleaner assembly. Electric chain saws are pretty much worthless in an emergency situation!

5. Gloves. Heavy leather ones that fit. The canvas ones won't last long.

6. Steel-toed boots with puncture liners in the soles. Vietnam era jungle boots with punji and mine protection is about the best. A good quality work boot runs a close second. There will be wood with protruding nails _everywhere_ hidden in the debris.

7. Visqueen or other heavy plastic sheeting in roll form.

8. Machete and ax, SHARP!

9. An alternate power source enough to run a fan all night. This should be either photovoltaic or internal combustion.

10. Mosquito netting to fit both your bed and your backup bed.

11. Your cell phone should NOT have the same area code as your house. When Ma Bell’s switchboard goes underwater all your communications will be hosed if they depend on the same switchgear. My cell is now based out of Houston, TX.

12. Drum liners (really big & heavy wall plastic trash bags) are right handy after the storm. They work for containing wet insulation, wet sheetrock, and other storm debris. Cut 3 slits in one an you have an instant poncho. They can be used to collect rain runoff from what’s left of the roof for potable water. They also are large enough that 2 of them can be used (with the universal supply of duct tape you need to have at all times) to contain once living things until the morgue can show up or you can dig a hole.

13. Listen to the forecasters advising how high the surge could be, then double it. If you are within this elevation range, abandon chattels as necessary and RUN UPHILL! A high percentage of those who stayed in this zone during Katrina died!

Steps to do up front:

Several months ahead of storm season:

1. If you don’t have dedicated premounted hurricane shutters get pressure treated plywood cut to cover all windows and all but one door (your heaviest). Rig an internal brace to hold that one door shut even if the frame splits.

2. Put hanger bolts in to mount all of these and do a test fit by putting them all up.

3. Paint all these with a good primer and topcoat, and mark each one clearly as to where it goes, and which side is out and up. This marking should be large enough and of sufficient contrast to be legible by moonlight or a single candle.

4. Remember the goal is to be able to completely board up the house in LESS THAN AN HOUR! It takes 5/8" plywood or thicker to stop a 2x4 thrown by 150 MPH winds. If handling equipment is needed to help lift the boards into place mount the pulley hangers NOW! A battery operated drill works great for installing the board fasteners, but keep a couple of spare batteries charged for taking them off later when you're whupped, there is no power, and you have to get the boards off to get light and ventilation in the house after the storm. There are going to be a LOT of things to do in the last 6-12 hours before the storm hits. If it takes more than an hour to board up these other important things will not get done because you'll flat run out of time.

5. Collect 5 to 7 gallon buckets with lids. 10 is a minimum for two people but 20-30 is even better. Clean and nest them, and then store them in a plastic bag. You're not going to have time to be both washing and filling buckets later.

6. Have a long head to head talk with your insurance agent(s) to determine coverage, and the documentation needed to actually collect on a claim assuming you come home to a beach where your house was. DO NOT assume during this discussion the insurance company will actually “do the right thing” and pay what is covered without a fight from you. Then get the documentation need to support the claim. This includes listing all books, albums, CDs etc. by unique identifier (ISBN if a bound book, the others vary) in a spreadsheet, with dated digital photograph showing it in your possession. This also goes for furniture and sporting equipment. Receipts are better but few maintain detailed receipt files for decades. It’s amazing how well the adjusters lowball contents damage unless you can back it up. If you don’t have flood insurance, GET IT even if you are not in a “flood plain!” Homeowners no longer pays for damage caused by a broken pipe, they’ve passed that liability on to the Federal flood insurance. Strange how I don’t remember my policy rates dropping when that happened. Flood insurance pays fairly well, homeowners or renters insurance is paying about $0.30 on the covered $1 in damages from Katrina so far in Mississippi. I expect that the total payout will increase by 2016, but only after the lawyers have taken a large cut of it.

1-3 days before the storm:

1. WASH CLOTHES! You won't be doing any laundry for a while after the storm hits, and a clean change of clothes will do wonders for your morale after working the clean up for a day or so.

2. Dead branches, weak trees, and other garden debris etc should be removed now and burned. Ashes won't hurt you later.

3. Any other prep work you can do now will save you that much more time for the important stuff later.

4. Start packaging dried foods and ammunition in waterproof and impact resistant containers. Pick containers that nest well and can also be used to shore up the weakest wall of your interior shelter. Surplus military ammunition cans work well. I have several 10 gallon open head steel drums that make a very strong crush resistant package, and can be stacked and lashed to form a penetration barrier.

5. TEST THE CHAINSAW! Change the fuel and tune it now. Install a new sharp chain, or sharpen the one you have on it. It may be necessary to cut through the roof or wall to make an escape route. Many Katrina victims drowned in their attics. There may be a worse way to die than drowning in the dark, but I don’t think the Apache women are allowed to do that any more.

6. FILL the freezer(s) with water to freeze. Ziplocks ½ full of water work well to flow into any unused spaces. This will stretch the edible window of your frozen food supply by a few days, and provide clean cold potable water after the storm.

Just before it hits:

1. Bag some clean clothes and bed linen in several layers of plastic bags, as well as about half your towel stock. That way even if you loose a part of your roof you'll have a dry place to sleep and dry clothes to wear later.

2. Fill everything you can with potable water. If you have nothing else wash the tub, dry it, and then tape the drain shut with a good grade of duct tape (drain valves leak and this is the water that may keep you alive) before filling it. Distribute the water you can’t get into your interior shelter about the place so a single tree through the wall won’t destroy the entire amount.

3. Bring weapons, some ammunition, as much food and water as you can, and bedding into your interior shelter. Do NOT bring fuel or batteries other than what is needed for minimal light into this area. The risk of damaging other vital supplies is too great to put that stuff inside your strong room with you. What's in here may be all you have to survive with for a week or so. Do NOT forget the weapons! Wildlife is forced out of the low-lying areas by the water. Wildlife and abandoned pets start to think of people as food after eating bodies for a while. Dog packs are particularly nasty. Defensive weaponry is necessary both for these things and the 2-legged snakes that seem to appear to "share the wealth". Police protection is non-existent right after the storm. Plan on at least 2 weeks of no effective police protection, and 3 weeks of no potable water or power. If the storm is a class 4 or 5 triple that estimate.

4. PRAY!!!!

Fred,

I think your list is great. I live in north Louisiana and through Wilma and Katrina we never lost power.

Unfortunatley on day 2 I got a phone call and spent the next 31 days straight policing in New Orleans and then 10 days in Lake Charles and Cameron. I had plenty of gas in my car. I had a comfortable bed most nights when I got to sleep and I could call my wife with my Alltel phone when I was only a couple of blocks from the Super Dome. All the other cell phones were useless.

I saw the dogs, the bodies, and the complete devestation. I was driving on the high rise around the dome and saw people who were totally unprepared what happened. The people in Cameron and Creole suffered much the same fate as many in your city. You could see concrete steps or posts but no houses. They were just gone.

My wife had to endure just four days in Cozumel at our house last year with no power when Hurricane Dennis blew through.This year she has a whole house generator, plenty of gas, storm shutters, and plywood for the doors. Everything is painted and marked and be easily installed by one or two people in short order.

In addition she has her hurricane supplies, extra 5 gallon bottles of water, two 250 gallon water tanks, canned food, cookies, batteries, buckets, and misc. extra supplies. After seeing it firsthand we're certainly much better prepared than if someone had told us what could happen.

Very nice list. Let me add some things from my experiences. After having 2 hurricanes pass overhead within 3 weeks of each other, I feel I'm more prepared than anything I've seen on list on tv. The hurricanes did minor house damage but the month afterwards was nothing like I expected. I was without power for over 14 days the 1st storm and over 7 days the second one. Was nice, no electric bill for a month. Also, there was no fuel/gas for over a week and stores had nothing useful for about the same amount of time.

Cash - small bills. Without power, the few stores that did have something you needed couldn't take plastic - no computers or phone lines.

Water. I mean lots of water. There was no pressure for over a week so if you wanted to shower, wash something or drink water (and you should be drinking about 2x the normal by now from the heat/work/lack of a/c), what you had is what you got. Go get those 5 gallon water jugs and get one per person per week for non drinking use. Rinse them with some baking soda and water to clean them before storing water in them. Helps get the plastic taste out in case you end up using it for drinking water. Then buy the amount of water you think you would drink in 3 months. It will get used sooner or later.

Generator with fuel for a week. Means having 5 or more 5 gallon jugs in your garage.

Buy a portable/window A/C big enough to cool your bedroom - one that runs off the generator you have.

Go buy a gas grill and keep 2 tanks of propane - one spare. And learn how to cook everything on it.

Along with the heavy contractor's grade plastic, get a few rolls of tar paper and the nails for it - nails with really wide plastic washers. Easy to install in areas that have missing shingles until proper repairs can be done.

I recommend bottles of water to put in freezer. These are used gator aid (nice and sturdy) or even water bottles. Move from freezer to fridge to keep cold.

I didn't have a problem with my cell phone after 3 or 4 days - portable towers were put up. People with nextel had major issues. The rumor was that the emergency workers were on their network and given pre-empt priority. So while the system was working, no one got get thru since all the circuits were being used by FEMA, police, national guard, etc. I know have a short wave radio and am working on my FCC license.

And have something to do. I helped everyone I know clean up - chopping up stuff with a chainsaw is fun. :) Since I have satellite for TV, I was cut off from the rest of the world.

So think of this as a long camping trip with nothing. And you don't know when it will end. Because even if you do decide after week that you've had enough, unless you have a working car and fuel for it, you're not going to be able to drive out of the area.

And remember the most important rule. Treat people like it's the holidays (i.e be extra nice). Everyone is under stress and supplies are limited. No need to fight for a piece of plywood or because someone pulled in front of your parked car on the highway.

Thanks for posting this, it's not relevant for me now... but I am hoping to get down to Engleside, tx some time in the next few years and I never would have thought of doing much more then boarding up the place...I remember many years ago I went down to Del Rio, Tx after a hurricane stalled out over the city...same things, the adobe homes were just gone, along with more stable structures.. We rebuilt the inside of a womans house, she had a flat roof, just flooded the inside.
How do you decide when it's safe enough to ride out the storm, or do you always try and evacuate, but sometimes the roads get too nasty?

When to evacuate.... good question. During Frances in 04, according to the local officials, unless you lived in an evacuation zone (the barrier island) or in a mobile home, you didn't need to evacuate.

For me, my house was build between the 2 code revisions - build to handle 110 mph winds but not 140 mph which is the new code. So if they think it will be a 3, and they are sometimes wrong and a 3 becomes a 4, I'm outta here.

I've been home for Jeanne in 04 and the Sept one in 05 (name escapes me) and it is no fun sitting in a black room that is getting warmer by the minute listening to the cement blocks shake. Good to be here if something leaks so you can protect furniture, etc. but if I thought the roof might go, I don't want to be inside when it does. Nothing in this house is irreplaceable exact the people in it. If you have kids or people that don't deal with stress and harse conditions well, another good reason to get a hotel out of the way of the storm.

webhead:
Cash - small bills. Without power, the few stores that did have something you needed couldn't take plastic - no computers or phone lines.

I live 300 miles from the Gulf and even we felt this impact. I was amazed at the number of stores, gas pumps (pay at pump), shops, etc that could not process credit card payments the day that Katrina hit. Why? because many of of the credit card processing companies were located in Louisiana or southern MIssissippi.

I had to go to 4 gas stations that day before I could find one that took 'plastic-money'. So this is a lesson for people everywhere.

Generator with fuel for a week. Means having 5 or more 5 gallon jugs in your garage.

Buy a portable/window A/C big enough to cool your bedroom - one that runs off the generator you have.

Go buy a gas grill and keep 2 tanks of propane - one spare. And learn how to cook everything on it.

I'd get some nice size chains and heavy duty padlocks, so those that didn't prepare as well as you did won't borrow your generator/grill, etc in the middle of the night.

There were reports of stolen generators all over that region.

you can seal bath tubs with candle wax.

generators hooked to the house work much better. invest in a switch or know how to feed the house SAFELY.

much less resistance.... (ohms). with load management, I could run the dishwasher, hot water heater, celing fans and fridge and 1 a/c unit.

wilma, katrina, were wimps in So Fla... the were NOT the real deal.

(katrina in MS/LA was the real deal)

we are in the jackson area. we didn't get damage but lost power for 10 days. i disconnected the service lines and fed the panel from the 220 output of my generator. i was able to run the TV (i was glad to have Dishnetwork that week), ceiling fans, and a good many lights with no problems. it was however, difficult to buy gasoline to run the generator.

We went through Ivan in Cayman. No water for 5 weeks after - no power for 11. I would emphasize:-

We went through Ivan in Cayman. No water for 5 weeks after - no power for 11. I would emphasize:-

1. fill the washing machine with water;

2. get plenty of cash;

3. move your vehicle to th highest point possible;

4. think of your pet's need too.

Back
Top Bottom