Seaquest Squeeze-lock stainless or titanium?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jibjab

Contributor
Reaction score
hey, i'm going to pick up a small squeeze lock knife for my balance bcd, should clip right on but i'm wondering whether to get the stainless or the titanium for a few bucks more. one dive shop i spoke too said get the titanium because it won't rust if you forget to wipe it off, the other said get the stainless because the titanium isn't as strong and doesn't reflect as well (not sure what this meant). thoughts? thanks!

The titanium just costs more. Get the stainless and put some silicone on it. I check mine every 50 dives or so and no rust yet.

Shawn95:
The titanium just costs more. Get the stainless and put some silicone on it. I check mine every 50 dives or so and no rust yet.

well the difference is only $5 so i don't really care, i just want to get the better of the two.

I would recommend the titanium blade if you can afford it (sounds like the price difference is minimal). A titanium knife will never corrode and will probably retain an edge better than the stainless version. Small BC knives are too small to serve as effective pry tools, so the claim that titanium alloys are more brittle than stainless is a moot point. As most dive knives are used as line cutters and topside utility knives (I use mine to fix lunch), the utter corrosion resistance and sharpness of a titanium knife make it better suited for diving.

To be true, very effective in knives can be made from stainless alloys, but I save such blades from the abuse of diving and leave them in the kitchen.

Sadamune

Sadamune:
I would recommend the titanium blade if you can afford it (sounds like the price difference is minimal). A titanium knife will never corrode and will probably retain an edge better than the stainless version. Small BC knives are too small to serve as effective pry tools, so the claim that titanium alloys are more brittle than stainless is a moot point. As most dive knives are used as line cutters and topside utility knives (I use mine to fix lunch), the utter corrosion resistance and sharpness of a titanium knife make it better suited for diving.

To be true, very effective in knives can be made from stainless alloys, but I save such blades from the abuse of diving and leave them in the kitchen.

Sadamune

what about the tip, comes in a flat 'tanto' tip and a pointy 'stiletto' tip, not sure what each is good/better/worse for. thanks

go for the titanium, since the price is basiclly the same, I perfer the tanto style tip, but can't back it up with any reason, other than its cooler...lol Also the thing about the reflective aspect, is that is you need to signal a plane overhead or a boat, or a very pretty mermaid, then you want the relfective qualities, get a small hand mirror and keep that in your BC pocket, then no worries there.

yeah, titanium

i'd go for the "pointed" tip ... you already have a flat edge on the knife, but may
need a point for whatever reason (cant' think of one... but it would be nice to have
it if you need it)

I vote for titanium also. I have both. My stainless is the older model that I think is better overall, and they didn't make titanium in that model. As mentioned earlier, they are really too small for pry bars, so the brittle part shouldn't come into play.

The titanium with the tanto tip would be my preference. It's a small knife so no real "prying ability" but titanium take it to a place that sharpens knives or sharpen it yourself and you'll have a razor's edge that WILL be there when you need it. I prefer the tanto tip because I have a CRKT folding knife with the tanto tip and have found how easy it is to cut stuff that's on a flat surface as compared to my drop point bladed knives.

My suggestion for you to contemplate about the blade...
Do you see yourself hunting for fish?
Do you forsee yourself needing to poke a small hole in something?
Then go for the stilleto style blade

If not I'd go for the tanto style.

People feel free to add to my suggestions on the blade style.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom