How long does it take?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dive4food

Registered
Reaction score
On average, how long does it take to perform the annual service on a regulator set? I am sure it varies by make, model, etc., but approximately how long on average?

I can do a complete rebuild in less than an hour in most cases.

another angle to your question is, how long does it take a shop to do it?

it can vary from two or three days to two or three weeks

A half trained monkey can tear it down and put it back together in 20 min. A well traind conciencious tech will average about an hour, including inspection and fine tuning. If the reg is in particularly bad condition with salt encrusted on all the threads it can take upwards of three hours.

It takes me 1 to 3 hours to do a good job on mine unless I run into problems. Problems often require lots of soaking which could add a week. Plus another hour for cleaning up the kitchen table and a pool dive.

I takes me 30 to 120 minutes reg depending
without serious cleaning but I don't let you wait for it:coffee:

So I say two/three day's

Why do you ask??? somebody pulling your leg for a 6 week turnover?

it takes me about a week to do the regs (6 regs). After work day one I disassemble all and clean by hand. Day two in ultrasonic, Day 2-3 drying, day 4 assembly of regs, day 5 tuning and test, saturday diving newly serviced regs..... Work gets in between my diving.......

These are the answers I've heard most of the time.
Couple of months ago I read the Diver magazine, they talked about it....
Why would it suddenly jumped up to become a 3 days check? The reason is that they were doing some extra overnight tests. e.g. After the regulator is checked with no IP creep, they leave the regulator with the cylinder turned on overnight, they suggested people to do it it especially if it has just gone through a service.
The reason is, the valve seats can take time to bed in, after a few hrs under pressure the IP and breathing char may have changed. So after it has been left for overnight, we can check the IP again, check for creeps, cracking resistance and flutter.

The whole thing is repeated for another evening with the cylinder turned off, this is used to test minor leakages, as the pressure indicated by the regulator's HP gauage will drop as the ari in the 1st stage and hoses slowly leaks away. Even the best regulator would have minor leaks, so this test is just to see how fast it leaks rather than checking if there is any leakage at all.

Regs really need to be cycled to take the initial set, not just left under pressure. And a bath tube works better for a leak check. You can even see where the leak is.:mooner:

Back
Top Bottom