Whats a good gear bag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jibjab

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking for a duffel style with a shoulder strap, something that can obviously handle wet items. I don't whether to just get a bag with drains or a full on mesh bag, here's what I'm looking at:

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/UDRMMBLR.html

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/BLRBEDD.html

I'm having trouble deciding as i've never owned gear before so i don't know what its like trucking it around :) The mesh bag would obviously let the water drain very easily and dry out easier.. but then the other one also has drains and would definitely be sturdier and could be used as a travel bag.. help!

I have a Cabela's Ripcord Large Duffel bag that I use for all kind os stuff: wetsuits, fins, masks, weights.

It used to be my primary dive bag along with the Cabela's wheeled caddy for it. Pretty good setup, but now I have the Aqualung jumbo backpack with wheels. Can't recall the name.

So the answer is "depends"... lol

For the throw it on the boat, everything wet diving in warm water... went with one of those really cheap all mesh bags you can get for about $10... has held up really well.

For the airplane ride down and travel, have a roller bag with fin pocket that is basically a rolling duffel bag. But any rolling suitcase or duffel works well.

Just picked up an Akona large mesh bag with drain and back-pack straps at a LDS's summer sale... more durable than my cheap mesh bag and will be good for colder water where I am diving dry and need a bag for semi-wet gear.

If I am diving locally... don't even use a bag... a rubbermaid tote or two... small one that is 24 inches long for regulators, computer and dive lights... large 30 gal. for wetsuit, fins, mask, boots...

i'm looking for something to carry my gear in to the boat/shore, etc.. if it works as a travel bag even better. i'm in quebec, i don't know if that makes a difference. the mesh seems like a good idea, but if the duffel bag with drain does the job too and is designed to be filled with soaking wet gear on a wet boat then i'd probably go for it instead, since it has extra pockets, handy for phones, wallets, towels, clothes, etc..

jibjab:
i'm looking for something to carry my gear in to the boat/shore, etc.. ...

Go to walmart and buy a big tupperware style container for aroung $12 (US). i have one and it holds the following on a regular basis

7/5mm wetsuit
gloves
boots
hood
BCD
4 Lights
2 knives
Regulators and gauges
mesh goodie bag
glowsticks
fins
mask
snorkel

On top of that My dive buddys 7mm wetsuit often ends up in it on the way to dives, because it doesn't fit in his bag.

I bought two roller duffel bags with straps and pull out handle from Costco for $39.00. Had for two years now and work great.

jibjab:
designed to be filled with soaking wet gear on a wet boat then i'd probably go for it instead, since it has extra pockets, handy for phones, wallets, towels, clothes, etc..

The pockets won't keep your stuff dry. You need a small dry bag for that. I also like the Akona with the backpack style straps as the bag can get really heavy with a lot of wet gear.

I use mesh. Used to use tupperware, but it doesn't work on boats. Mesh bag works on boats, shore entry, whatever.

I still keep the tupperware. It's about the same size as my trunk, so when I'm diving out of the car I can dive out of the tupperware. Also, when I get back to the car with my sloppy wet gear in the mesh bag, I can just throw the bag in the tupperware to keep my car dry for the ride home.

I use a separate bag for my dry suit and undergarment, and still another bag for weights.

I wouldn't worry too much about sturdiness - get a $20 mesh bag and you'll be able to replace it every other year without too much worry. That's just as good as having a $40 bag that will last twice as long. And I don't really understand pockets - I stow my gear more or less the same way I want to wear it (and leave anything that isn't coming in the water at home or in the save-a-dive).

Oh! Get a small dry box or dry bag (they're cheap, and to save even more you can get them from REI or another outfitter instead of your LDS). Pockets won't keep things dry, but a dry bag or box will.

PenguinAdLitem:
Oh! Get a small dry box or dry bag (they're cheap, and to save even more you can get them from REI or another outfitter instead of your LDS).

I bought my drybag from REI. And my Akona mesh bag online for about $30. I can't deal with the single strap duffel as it just kills my shoulder after a few steps. The backpack style is definitely the way to go if you have a long hike with wet gear. :D

I use one of these for boat dives. (www.leisurepro.com/prod/categoryID_1051/sort_stock/DescSort_0/XSSBWMDLR.html?Hit=1) You'll want something that can be stowed out of the way while you're in the water and these take up very little room in your travel bag (you don't want to take your travel bag on the boat). As for dry pockets, I use a soft sided cooler. I carry my camera in it to the boat and then put anything that I want to keep dry in it while diving. Or you could use one of these, www.leisurepro.com/Prod/categoryID_1051/Sort_Stock/DescSort_0/BLRMBDXL.html?Hit=1 . They work good too but I find that I really like having the wheels to haul the heavy wet gear.:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom