traveling with weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaLaze

Reaction score
I on most occations have taken the soft weight I needed for my WI/BCD with me on trips. I have also been solo these trips. My girlfriend is now diving and I now have an extra 9 pounds of weight to carry. (lets not talk about what it takes me to get down in a 5mm)
Who brings their own weight and who borrows or rents weights at their destination?
I hate diving with lead in the pockets..but that's just me...

Traveling nowadays with the 50 pound per bag weight limits by the airlines....I will leave my weights at home.

I always use the weight at the site,I cant barely get under the weight per bag at the airport with just my gear

I'd be learning to live with the hard stuff, and get your lead at the dive site. It's usually included at most places anyway.

All the best, James

You can buy new weight at what it costs to fly it these days. $25 each way for 5 # over from Belize last trip. I think I leave the weight at home.

I never travel with weights. I even got an aluminium BP for trips.

ScubaLaze:
I on most occations have taken the soft weight I needed for my WI/BCD with me on trips. I have also been solo these trips. My girlfriend is now diving and I now have an extra 9 pounds of weight to carry. (lets not talk about what it takes me to get down in a 5mm)
Who brings their own weight and who borrows or rents weights at their destination?
I hate diving with lead in the pockets..but that's just me...

On any dive trip where I have flown like Costa Rica, Mexico, Cozumel, Cayman Islands I took my BP/W, wetsuit, mask, regulator and computer. Tanks and weights have always been included in the price of the diving.

On trips where I have driven like Florida or Texas, I have taken all my gear including tanks and weights. There were always a few weights on board for divers that were underweighted but the boat captains would say make sure that you have your own weights.

A few years ago I was at (Hotel Cozumel, Brisas, Costa Club all the same place) and there was a couple coming across the pool area. The guy had a brand new weight belt slung over his shoulder with about 25-30 lbs of brand new bright shiny weights strung on the belt.

With only 50 lbs. per bag you will be hard pressed to pack your dive gear and have much room left over in your second bag without going over your limit.

I leave the weights at home.

The only time my weights even get near an airport is when I have to drive past the airport on the way to one of the local beaches or on the way home from that beach.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom