Dive watch straps...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zeeman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just bought my Atom 1 with AI - have yet to dive it thanks to some bad weather in Sydney town, but with any luck, tomorrow will be the first test :)

Now, the question... is there a reason that these things are not supplied with velcro style watch bands?

I would think they are more functional - easier to put on, take off, and easier to adjust, also, with velcro straps it is less likely that you will need an extension. It can also be cut to size of it is too long for little wrists.

I bought one today to replace the standard strap, which I think is just plain uncomfortable (though I found this with my Suunto as well) it only cost $7, so it's not expensive... but.. is there an actual technical reason these aren't supplied or aren't offered as extras??

Z...

I lost a watch that was just Velcro'ed on - probably the same $7 band you have; all I can think of is my arm rubbed against a rock and opened the band enough so the Velcro eventually pulled open. For me, it was only at $25 watch; I'd be very cautious with a computer, and just Velcro; I use bungee's now for everything.

Zeeman:
Doug - thanks :)

Rick - Where did you get the bungee?

Sounds like a better idea :)

Z..

Plain ole' bungee; I think I use 1/8 inch size. Get it almost anywhere; LDS, REI, SportsChalet, on-line at DiveRite Express or ReefScuba. Somewhere between 20 to 40 cents per foot. Of course, your computer needs to be able to accommodate replacing the strap with bungee. If you have regular watch pins holding the straps down, this may not be an option for you, since the bungee can put a lot of pressure on the pins, and bend them out.

Other option of course is a Waterborne type band. Overpriced in my opinion, but they work well.

rickyd:
Plain ole' bungee; I think I use 1/8 inch size. Get it almost anywhere; LDS, REI, SportsChalet, on-line at DiveRite Express or ReefScuba. Somewhere between 20 to 40 cents per foot. Of course, your computer needs to be able to accommodate replacing the strap with bungee. If you have regular watch pins holding the straps down, this may not be an option for you, since the bungee can put a lot of pressure on the pins, and bend them out.

Other option of course is a Waterborne type band. Overpriced in my opinion, but they work well.

OK, cool. thanks :)
Z.

Hi there,
I am not a big fan of the velco style watchbands. They are inexpensive but the velcro seems to wear a lot faster than the conventional straps that are supplied. If I had no choice but the velcro, I would hope that it would be the same stuff that is on Oceanic's pocket snorkel. That stuff is fantastic.
Roy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom