Just did my first Open Water dive at Pleasant!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SBP Studios

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Started off real rough due to a bad fopah on me and my buddies behalf. You kno that quarter turn your supposed to open your air tank to let the air go into the hoses and then open it all the way? Well....I only had the 1/4 tank, got 20ft down to do my partial mask clearing and emergency assisted ascent etc and I could'nt breath! I freaked out, I just could not get enough air so I shot to the surface like a rocket, luckily only 20ft down.

Felt like *** for about 30 mins, had to sit out, then we realized what happened and why I could'nt get air.

Important lesson learned I suppose.

As for Pleasant, I hope to never have to dive their again after I finish my last dive tomorrow. Vis is about 5ft and very murky. Just not fun at all. To each his own though, i got into this sport to do Ocean Dives to see things so I guess that is why the lake is such a bummer to me. But hey I must do what I must!

Ok thats it! Ill let you know how tomorrow goes. By the way im doing the Dive with the Sports Chalet instructors from Gilbert and they are good, the Dive Master/Course Instructor is Mike and he is awesome.

Sounds like your Instructor, that you like so much, let you down if your air was only cracked and not full on.
Lake...I love the Lake so please don't kick up the bottom and my dives will continue to be great there...

I have to agree with Granny. As an instructor, I personally check my students before getting into the water. What happened to you shouldn't have happened. As for the lake, again, I have to agree with Granny. I like Lake Pleasant. Ocean dives are great, but we live too far from the ocean to only dive when we can get to it. I can get to the lake a couple times a month. Come out some time with us after you're certified. We'll show you a different experience.

We had 2 instructors for about 12 people...my BUDDY let me down as far as im concerned, she was the one who was supposed to check my gear. But I agree, maybe my instructor should have went by everyone and checked them.

True, it is a buddy check thing and your buddy should have caught it. But your buddy is just learning too. It's up to the instructor to make sure things like that don't happen. BTW, only 20ft down is not the right attitude either. Don't get me wrong. I'm not lashing out at you. Afterall, you're just learning this stuff now. But the 1st ATA, or the 1st 34ft in fresh water (36 in Lake Pleasant because it's at altitude) are where the greatest pressure changes occur. It should have been covered in your class that from the surface to the 1st ATA, you double your density and 1/2 your volume. As you get shallower, the change is even larger. In other words, a quick ascent from 100ft to 80ft, although not advised, isn't as dangerous as a quick ascent from 20ft to the surface. Not trying to scare you. Just trying to make sure you're safe. Like I said, come out and dive with us.

Scrap, I anticipate you are certified?
Hope you had a better Sunday.

We were out there doing some Rescue Training as well. The visibility was bad. However, that is what happens when you do open water classes and you have a lot of people kicking up the bottom while the instructor is doing skills with the other students.

Lake Pleasant is what it is. A training environment. A place to keep your skills up. A place to blow bubbles and meet people who are "like minded".

Hopefully, you will get down to the warm waters of San Carlos Mexico or some other destination soon and feel what it is like to swim in an aquarium. It is the most incredible experience. I go down to San Carlos monthly during the summer season. Hopefully, you will catch the bug.

If I remember, you are heading off to Hawaii, correct? Have a great trip.

jcf

////

shark.byte.usa:
BTW where did you dive at the lake?

Garrett

We dove at North Shore. If we go back id like to try the Scorpion Bay and see what its all about.

jcf- Sunday was actually really nice, vis was down even more but still had a good time just Scubaing around, me and my wife are loving it. Cant wait to get to Hawaii!

scrapdizzy, congratulations! Glad you had a good time. When's the Hawaii trip? You should come out to Lake Pleasant this weekend if you can. Let us show you the potential Lake Pleasant has. It's not Hawaii, but it certainly won't be like your open water dives. :D

Back
Top Bottom