Dive report Seward Alaska (since we can't have an Alaskan forum)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wildcard

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
So I decided to brave the waters of Alaska again. Last spring I dove with Snowbear in a wet suit. BAD idea, 39 degree water is not doable in a wet suit! I broke down and ordered a new dry suit and while waiting for it to get here, I had time to dive so I paid the LDS for the rental and drysuit class so I can teach it later. Didn't take my camera as I figured Id have my hands full with learning the dry suit, and I was right. It was like I never dove before!:11: Second dive went a little better and I was able to look around and all I have to say is WOW! The nudis had just spawned or what ever it is they do to reproduce so there were little nudis everywhere. Saw a 50ish lb tako anemonies (feel free to tell me how to spell that) coral, it was flat out awsome! Oh ya, and a lot nicer in a dry suit:wink: Oh ya, and Snow Bear showed up for the dive too:D If you ever get a chance to dive with her, do it, you will be humbled by her bouyance control. She truly is a marine mamal.
Now as soon as my suit gets here I can do it again!!!!:D

Wildcard,
Sounds fun in the cold water (NOT). Actually, have a friends son doing his OW cert dives in Seward this weekend in prep for their trip here in Aug.
So.........Are the kings running good on the Kenai yet?
Had a Buddy that just left that brought me lots of Ling and 'but......
I'm wishin I was a fishin................jimbo

My husband is up fishing on the Kenai and it's terrible. The red run is worse than the Fish and Game guys originally predicted and they've even closed the mouth to dip netters!! He usually comes home with 2 or 3 boxes of salmon but this year we'll be lucky to get a full box. They've also been trying to get out to fish for halibut, but the seas have been 10-15 feet and none of them are interested in taking the boat out in that. They did fish for Kings one day and got skunked there too.

All in all, it's been the worst fishing season in the 5 years my husband has been fishing in Alaska. :(

I went with a buddy on a six pak with K and three guys from back east a couple of weeks ago. They each got one halibut. I lost track at 15. Had to fill there limits for them then we went salmon trolling. Got a 20 and a 35 lb King before the tide turned. Weird weather this year, cold and rainy all over with late runs of fish being the norm. Also the blue berries are ripe already! Weeks early. We are expecting an early and cold winter.
Im hoping my dry suit is at the post office when I get there monday so I can dive again.....We realy do need an Alaska forum ya know? We are not like the PNW so much as we are Hawaii, people anyways. I think that is why every one from AK is here in Hawaii Ohana.

hey, looking at a Pursuit today..pm me if you know anything I should know.

Please send me some fish...door delivery on dry ice would be nice.

We are not like the PNW so much as we are Hawaii, people anyways. I think that is why every one from AK is here in Hawaii Ohana.

hmmm..really?

They are good boats but a bit pricey IMHO. Want some flat fish?

Wildcard:
...We are not like the PNW so much as we are Hawaii, people anyways. I think that is why every one from AK is here in Hawaii Ohana.

I noticed that when I've visited AK. You really see it on the plane ... can't tell who's flying home and who's going on vacation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom