Dive Gear on JM Cousteau's Ocean Adventures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sadamune

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm a big Cousteau fan (I'm not the only one on this forum, right?) and I'm curious what dive gear Jean-Michel's team is using on the programme Ocean Adventures.

I don't have a television and so I haven't been able to watch it :(, but the PBS website and the Ocean Futures Society website do describe some of the more novel pieces of equipment his team uses: Inspiration rebreathers from Ambient Pressure Diving, Launch Pad modular fins from Force Fins, JMC SuperMask designed by Kirby Morgan & Jean-Michel and manufactured by Oceanic (I think).

Here are some links: http://www.pbs.org/kqed/oceanadventures/xteam/dive-tech.html

http://oceanfutures.com/kure/diving_technology.asp

Aside from the above equipment, what else does Cousteau: The Next Generation use?

Judging from photographs, it looks like they use a simple harness and wing when diving open circuit (more photogenic I suppose), but are they using a backplate? What regulators are they using? Is Jean-Michel Cousteau still loyal to Aqua-Lung?

Regarding the Force Fins, they look really cool, but I wonder if they'll ever be marketed to the public. The Inspiration rebreathers look übercool, and from what I hear, are überexpensive. Does anyone have any experiece with these devices?

Thanks,

Sadamune

The photogs were using the rebreathers but the actors, including Jean Michel, etc, were using the UDS, an open circuit, triple tank set. Very conventional with exception of the plastic shroud. This type Scuba was sold by US Divers beginning in 1973 and continuing in slightly different form into the 80's. The sets used by the actors are the later type with 30 cf aluminum bottles and conventional single hose regulator. So, one could say that the conventional aqualung is still favored for purposes of slick, color coordinated filming. No BC's were used by the actors.

Thanks pescador775! I did some research on the UDS and found this interesting thread on the Vintage Scuba Supply Community Forum:

http://vintagescuba.proboards2.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1095723435&page=1

The above thread states that they were made from 1974-1977 and were dropped from the U.S. Divers catalog in 1978. There were two versions, the UDS made in 1974 and the revised model UDS-1 that debuted in 1975, the latter having only a few minor changes.

I find the idea of carying three small aluminium cylinders in a streamlined case very appealing. Has this method been completely abandoned by all but the Cousteau family (and vintage gear divers)? Does anyone know if there any similar systems being made today? I'm particularly curious about the latter because the UDS-1 would be 30+ years old today and I would think Jean-Michel Cousteau & Company would probably use something of more recent manufacture. Considering that the three cylinder design isn't really very complicated, I suppose it wouldn't really be very difficult to custom manufacture a modern version. My guess is that's what Jean-Michel's team has done.
Their 2nd stage regulators look a bit like old U.S. Divers Conshelf types, but I still can't pin point the exact model...

Sadamune

Sadamune:
Thanks pescador775! I did some research on the UDS and found this interesting thread on the Vintage Scuba Supply Community Forum:

http://vintagescuba.proboards2.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1095723435&page=1

The above thread states that they were made from 1974-1977 and were dropped from the U.S. Divers catalog in 1978. There were two versions, the UDS made in 1974 and the revised model UDS-1 that debuted in 1975, the latter having only a few minor changes.

I find the idea of carying three small aluminium cylinders in a streamlined case very appealing. Has this method been completely abandoned by all but the Cousteau family (and vintage gear divers)? Does anyone know if there any similar systems being made today? I'm particularly curious about the latter because the UDS-1 would be 30+ years old today and I would think Jean-Michel Cousteau & Company would probably use something of more recent manufacture. Considering that the three cylinder design isn't really very complicated, I suppose it wouldn't really be very difficult to custom manufacture a modern version. My guess is that's what Jean-Michel's team has done.
Their 2nd stage regulators look a bit like old U.S. Divers Conshelf types, but I still can't pin point the exact model...

Sadamune
Sadamune,

I'm the one who put together a lot of the posts on the Vintage Scuba Supply website, and I use the UDS-1. It is a very nice unit in the water, but it is also the most complex open-circuit scuba that was ever developed (I think). It takes me about an hour to break it down, and two hours to put it back together. The UDS-1 uses a very unique valve system which incorporated the first stage in the manifold, had one-inch cylinder openings, and huge valve openings. It is difficult to maintain, and the filling system is somewhat "funcky." I've had to modify it to allow it to hold air.

That being said, I will be picking up the cylinders from their 5 year hydro tomorrow, and using my system again soon. I really like how it handles in the water (once it is properly balanced with about 4 pounds of weights on the top of the unit). I also like the upside down valve position, so that there is no issue reaching the valves.

I'm looking at picking up the new Mistral regulator, separating the first and second stages, and then mating it to the UDS-1 and using the Mistral as a chest-mounted regulator. That will be a very interesting combination.

SeaRat

I was very close to starting this thread on my own. I have seens 4 episodes so far. My first impression is that the cameramen are the best divers on the show.

Anyhow...my observations of the open circuit gear...

From what I can tell so far, this is what I think the open ciruit divers are using. They have a triple tank set-up with a non-isolated manifold. There appears to be a tiny blue wing that fits around the back plate (possibly plastic). They have one first stage regulator that sits behind/over the diver's right shoulder. There is one 2nd stage that they breath from. I think I saw "Oceanic" written on the hoseless computer that they use. It is rectangular shaped and not currently on the Oceanic website (past model year?). There are only 2 hoses coming from the first stage. One goes to the 2nd stage. The other hose appears to go to the wing. If it does, and if there even is a wing, I have no idea how they control it. I don't see any octopus. The harness is hog style with weight belt webbing. There is a blue plastic cover that goes over the entire outfit. The harness, skin, and cover are all blue, as well as the JMC supermask. So, it all has a nice, matching look to it.

Regarding the fins...

I think that some of the divers are using the Force Oscillating Propulsion system. http://www.forcefin.com/FF_PAGES/FF_Products/ops.htm

I'll keep watching and try to find some more info.

SeaRat,

Thank you for the info on the UDS. Your idea about integrating the new Mistral into your UDS rig is quite novel! Do you intend to use just the second stage of the Mistral, connect it to a low pressure hose from the UDS manifold, and mount it on your chest? Wow, that's pretty cool. At the very least look really slick. I hope you provide a detailed description of your project and findings.

harmeyes,

Thanks for your input. According to your description, Jean-Michel's "hero" rig can't be an original UDS system, unless it has been extensively modified. SeaRat mentioned that the UDS's manifold (with integrated 1st stage) is located on the bottom of the unit. That would mean that Jean-Michel's unit, which has the 1st stage mounted behind the right shoulder, is a totally new system that only cosmetically resembles a UDS, or is a UDS that has been totally reworked. I find the former possibility to be much more likely. Why go to the trouble of extensively modifying 30+ old equipment when you can easily manufacture a new design? My guess is the Jean-Michel chose to create a streamlined, minimalistic rig that would be very photogenic, would have visual continuity with the equipment his father famously used, and that also integrated modern dive technology. Considering that Oceanic has manufactered the JMC Supermask and their dive computers, I think it's quite possible they also manufactued Jean-Michel Cousteau's custom "hero" rig.
I wonder if Oceanic plans on releasing "Cousteau" branded equipment in the future. It might be a hit. Watch Cousteau: The Next Generation on TV and then go dive with the official gear, brought to you by...Oceanic!

Hmmm, their regulators don't resemble anything Oceanic makes though.

Sadamune

Sadamune,

I've run into a snag about getting the New Mistral regulator. I collect old regulators, and this would be a very expensive, redundant system for me. My wife pointed out the high cost of the system, and so I may not be doing this.

My alternative is to use my Scubapro A.I.R. I second stage on the UDS-1, which I've done in the past. This also makes a wonderful combination.

Concerning JMC's valve setup, he is using a regular, triple manifold that was manufactured by USD (Aqualung) a number of years ago. It can still be bought, as some outlets still have it. This manifold has a single post, on the right shoulder (I believe), and also a J-valve on the left. At one point, US Divers offered a shroud for this system, and a few are still around. It was called the ABS, and it came out after the UDS-1. It did have an integrated BC too. We discussed it in detail in this thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=63188

Unfortanately, the photos are missing from the thread.

Now, all I have to do is to get my UDS-1 put back together. Yesterday I got the cylinders back from their 5 year hydro (all passed, no problem). Assembly takes about 2 hours, so that's a weekend project for me. Then I get to put it back into the water and dive it, which is the pleasurable part of the experience.

SeaRat

Hey SeaRat,

Thanks for the link to the other thread. It answered almost all of my questions about the triple sets JM Cousteau & Co. dive with. Curiously, one of the photos (they seemed to load fine now) depicts what appears to be a U.S. Divers ABS style double cylinder rig that once belonged to Jean-Michel Cousteau (now in Nick Icorn's collection). You commented that it was unusual looking, quite distinct from the usual triple tank U.S. Divers UDS/ABS setup. What I found most intriguing was the comment by the poster that this rig used titanium cylinders. I am very interested in titanium cylinder technology and would like to learn more. Alas, there is a real dearth of information regarding titanium gas cylinders on the web...

Regarding my earlier posts about JM Cousteau's mystery regulators, I've since learned that the "JMC SuperMask" used by his team is really a Kirby Morgan product that JM Cousteau has subtly modified (probably the colour scheme). Reading about this mask on the Kirby Morgan website, called the M-48 SuperMask (http://kirbymorgan.com/products/m48.html), I discovered that it actually comes with its own 2nd stage regulator, a Kirby Morgan model called the SuperFlow, and that this reg matches the model worn by JM Cousteau & Co. in Ocean Adventures. Mystery solved. Now, I wonder where Oceanic fits into this...

So, to recap, Jean-Michel Cousteau & Co. dive with:

- Inspiration rebreathers from Ambient Pressure Diving

- Advanced Breathing System (ABS) from U.S. Divers with custom fiberglass shell

- Launch Pad modular fins with Oscillating Propulsion System (OPS) from Force Fins

- M-48 SuperMask and 2nd stage SuperFlow regulator from Kirby Morgan

If anyone else has more information to contribute, it would be sincerely appreciated.

Sadamune

pescador775:
No BC's were used by the actors.
=============================================

Kind of an aside ...but when I participated 2 summers back in the 80's in something the Cousteau Society called "Project Ocean Search" (POS) the entire Cousteau saff dove without any form of bouancy compensation. They were all diving with single tanks mounted on rigid plastic backpacks and old fashioned weight belts. Ironically, they all had state of the art Suunto wrist computers, which were pretty avante guarde devices back then.

'Slogger

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom