Gear Purchasing Addiction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eckybay

Princess of Dorkness
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So when I decided to become certified back in June, no one warned me about the possible addiction to buying gear. But as a gadget geek of the first degree, I should have known.

So after getting certified back in June, I have just purchased my *second* BCD/Reg combo. Let me explain.

The first one I purchased was a Latitude BCD with a Titan reg, analog gauges as a used set from my LDS. They throw in free tank/wetsuit rentals for a year with any BC/Reg setup purchase. I had heard enough horror stories about rental gear and figured if I had the gear, I'd want to use it and go diving more often. True enough - been going almost every weekend since my check out dives.

My dive buddy and boyfriend was still renting gear at this point. Since I'm a nice girlfriend - aka, want to make sure I have a dive buddy to go diving with :wink: - we went shopping yesterday. He got a Latitude BCD. I got a Titan LX reg and a Vyper. He gets my old reg - I'm nice, but I'm not *that* nice.

I also got my first non-rental wetsuit this past week - went with a Henderson Hyperstretch which was *so* easy for me to put on.

So in a few hours, we'll be heading out to give all this new gear it's first quarry test run!

Congratulations on your new gear!! I think a lot of folks do exactly the same as you....switch out part of all of their kits within the first year. I know I switched out my BC and my octo within the first 18 months (BC within the first 6 months) as what I thought I wanted wasn't really ultimately what I did want. :wink:

Don't be surprised if you keep "tweaking" your gear until you get it just right.

It only gets "better", LOL

I warned her that it was addicting...but did she listen to me? Nooooo...

Then again, it is some pretty cool gear. We're heading to the water in about a half hour or so, and it should be a blast as always. :)

Trying out the gear. That's the good part of the addiction!

You won't be done until you can bring the sun with you on dives.

I need more gear like a need another hole in the head. I try not to buy equipment that I already have. But sometimes you just have to get something because you can get a deal. 2 weeks ago a friend called me at 7:30 AM to tell me his neighbor was having a yard sale and that she had new, unused dive gear that she was selling.
"Times a'wasting!" I replied. It seems that her hubby wanted out of the marriage and walked out, giving her power of attorney to sell all of his property. There were two complete sets of gear. The equipment was Zeagle Ranger LTD BC's, Zeagle Flathead VI regs, Nitrox computers, Compass, SPG,s, fins, etc. The gear was stored neatly away in a nice wheeled Stahlsac bag. There was two tanks, a 100 and an 80 cf .Oh, and a couple of 3 cf Spare Airs. The gear was still in plastic or boxes and had never been wet. I asked what she wanted for the gear and she said she did not know. She stated she had to sell everything in 4 days and was going to take the gear back to the dive shop where it had been purchased from. I asked if she would just part with the regs. She said that she wanted to sell ALL of it at one time. Well I already had 2 Zeagles and good regs and I could not justify buying any of this gear. It fell into the nice to have, not need to have category. Her problem was she knew she had excellent, pricey gear and wanted to get a good price for it, but she needed to move by Thursday. I told her that if she had no luck with the dive store to give me first refusal on ONE set. I told her that I would give her $500 for one set and that I knew it was worth a lot more than that, but I did not want to spend a lot of money for gear I did not need. I gave her my number and walked away. Three days later I was surprised to get a call from the lady to tell me to bring her $500. Feeling somewhat guilty I wheeled my new gear out of her yard and threw it in my vehicle. I did do her the favor of removing the 2 bulky scuba tanks, leaving her the Spare Air that I told her would sell like hotcakes on EBAY. I justified it as not spending 500 bucks but in saving 1500 bucks or more. Sometimes a guy just needs to go shopping too.

Congratulation on your new gears.....me too addiction...I going to buy Apeks XTX 200, XTX50 both for technical diving gears....

james croft:
It seems that her hubby wanted out of the marriage and walked out, giving her power of attorney to sell all of his property.
I'ld like to hear HIS side of the story. :shakehead

My name is Ber and I bought a Dive Rite G2500 Ice regulator last year to replace my very old Scubapro Mk10. A couple months later Phil Ellis of Dive Sports (and here on the board) had a sale on Dive Rite regs and the same G2500Ice was over $300 less than I paid for my first one so I bought a second one--it's been almost a year and I've never breathed off of it. It did go in the water on an 80 cf pony once though :)

Eckybay, put down the credit card and back away slowly; this is for your own good :wink:
Ber :lilbunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom