Octo of a Different Brand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pugsly55

Registered
Reaction score
Is there any reason you can not use one brand first stage and primary reg (Say Aqualung or Zeagle), and another brands octo (like Mares or Scubapro)? Thanks.

I did all dives in my OW course with an Aqualung reg. + Seac Sub octopus with no problems...

as has already been said, it can be done, but I would hesitate to do so to ensure ease of servicing. If a shop isn't a dealer for brand x then they can't get parts.

so possible yes, but not a great idea IMO.

Mine have never been the same brand. Unless one of them is some really obscure brand I doubt you'll have trouble finding a shop that services both, just check. Most shops service a number of brands. If you're buying them both from the same place they should certainly be able to service them.

I'm not trying to stir up trouble. This is an honest question and not a troll. What reason would you have for buying two different brands?

Different regs would help eliminate common-mode failure, but other than that, I can't see why you'd want to put up with the service headaches mentioned above. Besides, if I NEED to use it, why would I want something less than what I normally breath? I'd prefer the comfort of a good reg when I need it most.

Again, I'm not trying to stir things up. I've seen people do this before and I would love to know the reason behind it.

Thanks,
Bryan.

I would like to add a question to this post since its very similar, sorry if this should be made into its own thread.

I am picking up an AL Legend reg in DIN, eventually I want to get more regs for doubles etc, I am looking at ATX50's/DS4. Would this be a no no, just curious if there are any real reasons not to mix and match in this particular setup. My shop services both, so thats a non issue.

gt3073b:
I'm not trying to stir up trouble. This is an honest question and not a troll. What reason would you have for buying two different brands?
well, I have a scubapro reg. I originally had a Sherwood octopus because that's what the shop suggested. It worked fine and the combo was not a problem to service for 14 years. I bought a new octo of a different brand a couple years ago, only because I decided I wanted a side venting type octo that worked the same whichever way someone stuck it in their mouth. Scubapro doesn't make one of those so that wasn't even an option, and I certainly wasn't going to get rid of my whole reg to get one. (Rather attached to the old MK10.)

You must make sure that the proposed auxiliary second stage has about the same intermediate pressure requirements as the primary. Usually they are close enough, but not always. For example (at the xtremes), an Aquadyne has an IP of 60 psi over ambient while a Cyclon 300 has an IP of 190, they would not do well together.

midnite135:
if there are any real reasons not to mix and match in this particular setup. My shop services both, so thats a non issue.

No problem. I dive an ATX200 and a Zeagle Flathead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom