US Cavern instructor recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spectre

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm considering running off sometime this fall for an extended weekend. In trying to think of what to do, I thought 'Hmm... perhaps a cavern class?'

So I thought I would see who people would recommend. I'd like to do it in the US, with a florida preference... but none of that is set in stone.

So, who would you recommend, and most importantly... why?

Good stuff, I think you'll really enjoy it. One thing, if it's an extended weekend anyway, the Cavern/Intro cave combo is 3 days. If you're interested in caving at some point, it's a great way to get your fins wet.

The instructors I've had experience with are Bill Rennaker, John Orlowski, and Terrence Tysall. Bill and John are both very good, and you'll get the added perk of hanging out at Bill's shop. Terrence is more expensive, but he's one of the top divers and instructors in the world.

Bill's website: www.sidemount.com

John's website: www.aquaspeleo.com

Terrence's website: www.benthictech.com

When I did my Cavern and Intro, I used NSS-CDS instructor Mark Pergram. I would highly recommend him. He is located in Georgia, but will drive to Florida to give the cavern class. He is a very patient and excellent instructor. You can get his contact info from the NSS-CDS homepage on their instructor page. www.cavediver.org

If you're interested in Cavern training & you're coming to Florida, you can contact Ross Noble in Gainsville. He does his class room work out of Lloyd Bailey's place.
http://www.lloydbaileysscuba.com/ . For more info on Ross check his site @ http://www.cavetech.com . Ross is a little more expensive, but it's more 1 on 1 & he knows his stuff. I think last yer he did 25 full cave students which was 5th over all in NACD in Fl. You can take a Cavern/Intro/Adv. Nitrox for like $450.

Another option if you want PADI Cavern only is Michael Browning. He teaches out of http://www.meridiandivers.com/ . This is the only shop I deal with in Jacksonville. The owner is a great girl & Mike know his stuff. He's also a CDS full cave diver, so he takes the cavern a bit more seriously than a typical OW Padi instructor.

Hope this helps.

I know I'll get flamed for this...but what are you looking for in an instructor? Do you want someone that does it their way or someone DIR? The training will be the same (basically) but gear configs may differ. Maybe one will be more detailed.

Flame away, but I was just curious.

Wendy has a good point. If you're looking for an cnfg. anal instructor, Ross is not your guy. While he agrees w/alot of DIR set up, he likes to stay a bit more flexible. :angel:

Ok Wendy...I fanned the Flame for ya...... :devil:

Wendy once bubbled...
But what are you looking for in an instructor? Do you want someone that does it their way or someone DIR

Good question, and something that I hadn't thought about [well, not in this context anyway].

My answer:

Currently I'm looking for Cavern, not anything more [like Cavern and Intro to Cave]. I'm looking to get a taste, and some practical knowledge that I may be able to use while wreck diving [since my life will be a hell of a lot more wreck diving than cave diving].

DIR or not, I don't really care either way at this point. However my master plan does include taking a DIRF course. So gear abuse now/gear abuse later... it doesn't matter to me. If there are practical issues with my gear, than I have absolutely no quams with hearing what those issues are.

Currently I'm looking for Cavern, not anything more [like Cavern and Intro to Cave]. I'm looking to get a taste, and some practical knowledge that I may be able to use while wreck diving [since my life will be a hell of a lot more wreck diving than cave diving].

Then I would highly recommend Michael Browning here in Jax. He's into wrecks, underwater hunting & caving, so he's into good gear configuration & usable knowledge. Check the link from the previous post.

Terrence Tysall is also an awesome wreck diver (dove the Monitor, E. Fitzgerald, among others). Teaches NSS-CDS.

On a side note, and this may be just me, but I'd stick with NSS-CDS, not PADI. Even though you don't want cave right now, if you ever change your mind there's no further PADI training.

trheeltek once bubbled...
On a side note, and this may be just me, but I'd stick with NSS-CDS, not PADI. Even though you don't want cave right now, if you ever change your mind there's no further PADI training.

I've thought of that actually... In general PADI is at the bottom of the list [e.g. if I want a stereo repaired, I don't take it to walmart.], but unless I hear otherwise as far as the contents of the curricullum, I care much more about the instructor than the agency.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom