Mares Abyss service?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fasorud

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok Abyss people, here is a question:

I have owned an Abyss for 4 years and had absolutely no problems with it. Worked like a charm....UNTIL I took it in for servicing.
Ever since then it breathes like S**T!! I really have to work hard to get a breath out of it.

I have taken it back to the DS and they told me they couldn't find anything wrong with it. I am very close to selling it but I am still debating with myself. Try and get it fixed or get rid of it and get an Apeks reg? I barely use it as I dive doubles exclusively here, but I still want a single tank rig and hate re-configuring my doubles regs to dive a single tank.

My question is has anyone had the same problem before? If so, how did you resolve it? Anyone knows of any good Mares service techs in Chicago or close by?

It has been a great reg and I want to atleast give it the benefit of a doubt before I get rid of it :)

Lowering IP is not going to help. It should be kept between 142-148 psi(9.8-10.2 BAR) unless cold water kit is installed, than it should be taken to around 135 psi(nothing to do with ease of breathing). If Abyss is breathing hard then the adjustment on the second stage must be made. There is no reason for 4 year old regulator to breath any harder then the new one unless improper adjustment has been made. Many times I tune brand new regulator strait from the box for better performance (another reason not to buy on line :) ). If you have a problem with your regulator do not give up on it,rather seek second opinion (like with a doctor). I've been selling and diving with Abyss regulators for years and I find them to be most reliable,durable and easy to maintain.I wish you good luck and the money you want to spend on Apex put towards another diving trip.
Cheers
Norbert Pietkiewicz

Norberto is correct. If it has been working for 4 years and after service has a problem, I would suggest someone else service it. If you cannot find a shop, you can always arrange for it to be sent to Mares service center. The Abyss should last you for many years, you can check the boards: It's performance speaks for itself.

Regards,

Phil

Phil Mintz:
Norberto is correct. If it has been working for 4 years and after service has a problem, I would suggest someone else service it. If you cannot find a shop, you can always arrange for it to be sent to Mares service center. The Abyss should last you for many years, you can check the boards: It's performance speaks for itself.

Regards,

Phil

Phil,

I have no doubts about the performance of the Abyss. As I said I loved it until it got serviced and had absolutely no problems with it. I have dove with many different regs and that's by far one of my favorite ones (hence why I bought it originally).

At this point I don't want to waste any more money at an LDS, so I would really like to send it to Mares Service Center. Can you provide me with contact information?

Thanks

Phil Mintz:
PM me your phone number and I will have customer service call you.

Now that is what I call service :)

PM Sent

:D

fasorud:
Now that is what I call service :)

PM Sent

:D

I have found that Mares, and Phil Mintz especially, are as top notch as you will find when it comes to service issues. I've had personal contact with Phil, and he is a real credit to the industry.

I've serviced many Abyss regs, and can tell you that it is most likely an adjustment issue of the second stage. I set Abyss regs to have a cracking effort of 1.25". This offers great breathing characteristics, and avoids free flow issues from the case orientation in the normal swimming position. Also, I set the IP at 135-140psi, and this typically works splendidly with Mares regs.

It is time to look for another tech.

Greg Barlow
Former Science Editor for Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom