Whiskey Wreck 7-23-6 Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My cheap boat dive didn't end up working out and my beachdive side project didn't pan out either(buddy ran a bit late, so we're postponing), so I ended up diving the Whiskey Wreck Sunday afternoon(into early night). On short notice, HK182 was able to meet up with me in Gulf Shores for a nice long beach dive. Winds out of the SW put quite a bit of particulate in the water but the seas were small and there wasn't much surge.

Visibility ranged around 2-4'. I hit a max depth of 17' for a total 76 minutes, burning my 80cf down to 1400psi. We saw many flounder(most too small), spadefish(some big ones out), pinfish, pigfish, a few mangroves, seargeant majors, and various crabs here and there. Visibility could have been better, but we made the most out of it. HK182 got the grand tour(as much as visibility would allow atleast). I was happy to get wet and accomplish something throughout the course of the day. Finished the night off with some 3 mile wings and Yeungling at Hooters of course(definately on par for the night).

Good times :D

yeah, I had a great time and the wreck, as well as at Hooters! Great dive, though I now know that I need to work on my air consumption (guess I need to dive more often). Thanks again for the tour and for the chance to get wet. I can't wait to do it again!

Your air consumption really wasn't that bad for someone who doesn't dive that much. Most of my local buddies dive ~20 times a year and you would have been right up there with em.

I have a friend who took the OW course but was never able to clear her ears and do her check-out dives. She heard me talking about the Whiskey wreck and wondered if it would be possible to pull a little inflatable out there and free dive the wreck while I SCUBA. To me it seemed that she would have the same problems with her ears, but she seems to think she could do it. What do you think? Could we swim a little raft out and anchor it close and let her try? Is the wreck directly in front of BB's or just a little west? Thanks

Mike

Ears clear the same way whether or SCUBA or not. It'd be very easy to tow a little raft out to the wreck and anchor to it though. Line up with Bahama Bob's sign and head directly south. You'll hit the wreck, it lies east-west so its a big target to miss.

On a clear day, you can easily see it from the surface.

Thanks. We will probably give it a try next weekend. ( Sat 8/5) Maybe we will see you out there. We are both early risers and will try to get there before it gets too hot. Last time I dove this site was in the late 70's when I was a young whipper-snapper. We used to line up on a bird house on the beach.

Mike

Just three years ago I used to line up on the AC unit of the beach house that sat just south of Bahama Bobs :)

No more birdhouse(I think I've seen pictures from back in the day with the birdhouse)
No more beach house
More wreck than whats been visibile since the early 80s(from what I hear), not sure how it was in the 70s.

Might see ya around.

There was not much visible when I dove her in the 70's. My college buddy and I had an 80 gal saltwater aquarium and we would take along a slurp gun to try and catch some of the smaller guys to take back to our aquarium. I guess that is frowned on today. We would take a little raft out, anchor it and put some water in the bottom of the raft. If we caught anything we wanted to keep, we would come up and shoot it into the bottom of the raft. I do not remember us finding much we wanted to keep,but we had fun. (Till the electricity went out for a while in the winter when we were gone and the aquarium cracked. BIG MESS)

Mike

People still slurp fish, I think there is some sort of liscense for it though?

At the moment, filefish, seargeant majors, and damsels are out there that would make attractive aquarium fish. The blennies too actually.

I saw several fish out there that I would not mind having in an aquarium. There was a much larger number of differnt species than I expected.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom