Perdido Jetties 7/23/06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Murchison

Trusty Shellback
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
My niece Lockett (12) finished her certification at Vortex on Saturday so we headed for the Gulf Sunday. I wanted a nice easy shallow dive for her first salt water experience, and as the tide and the weather were cooperating we decided on the East Jetty at Perdido pass. It was nearly flat, bathtub warm and good visibility; we spent an hour and a half exploring and finding all sorts of wonderful folk there. Octopus, Blennies, Beaugregory, Spotfin Butterflyfish, Lookdowns, Spanish, Hardtails, Belted Sandfish, Black Snapper, etc, etc, and this fellow...
lray.jpg

A very nice dive and another enthusiastic addition to our Scuba Family.
Rick

Great pic Rick, I don't see em too often during the day. Looks like AL Point was the place to be, visibility at the Whiskey later on in the day wasn't all that great.

You dove the East side? I haven't dove that side since before Ivan, I thought alot of it had been knocked out.

SuPrBuGmAn:
Great pic Rick, I don't see em too often during the day. Looks like AL Point was the place to be, visibility at the Whiskey later on in the day wasn't all that great.

You dove the East side? I haven't dove that side since before Ivan, I thought alot of it had been knocked out.
Finding the little ray was blind luck. I felt him under the sand and lifted him out & brushed him off for the pic. We dove the part of the jetty that's separated from the beach - anchored on the East side. Max depth was only about 15', but it was so calm there was very little surge... a very relaxed exploration :)
Rick

The little island portion eh? The last I dove that was pre-Ivan, off the Miss Jellyfish, but I dove the channel side and hit like 8' :)

Nice picture, thanks for the dive report.

Thanks Yoda...
Here are my baby daughter Sasha and her cousin Lockett on the dive

Sasha_and_Lockett.jpg

and another shot of the Ray.

Electric_Leopard_Ray.jpg

Rick

Rick I’d like to ask the Farther side of you a question. Do you feel comfortable diving with your younger daughter? The reason I ask is I have a 16 year old Daughter that has been persistent over the last few years that I get her certified and take her diving. I have always shied away from it, and as we know our girls know how to tug at our hearts and can make us feel really bad. I have been considering taking her over to MBT because they do their training at a slow pace and a fresh water controlled environment. Do you think I might ge a little over protective?

tom wicker:
Rick I’d like to ask the Farther side of you a question. Do you feel comfortable diving with your younger daughter? The reason I ask is I have a 16 year old Daughter that has been persistent over the last few years that I get her certified and take her diving. I have always shied away from it, and as we know our girls know how to tug at our hearts and can make us feel really bad. I have been considering taking her over to MBT because they do their training at a slow pace and a fresh water controlled environment. Do you think I might ge a little over protective?
Without knowing your daughter I can't say... but... in my opinion, when you have a teenager who's willing to do anything with you, grab it and growl! If she's diving with you she's under your supervision and influence rather than her (oh, so well informed and educated and perceptive and filled with "good" advice) peers. Quality time with teens is truly precious - it cannot be overdone :)
My own baby got certified at 11 and is now an accomplished diver at 17. She dives with me regularly but much less than I'd like - boys and all that kind of interference, don'tchaknow... My granddaughter is turning 9 next month and is already a Scuba Ranger chomping at the bit to be old enough to get certified too.
My oldest (32) engineered this for the front page on Father's day...

Fathers_Day_2006.jpg

It's been great for us...
Rick

A man surrounded by four beautiful women and all are in diving gear!! You are truly blessed.

Mike

I was A lucky man when it came to my kids I just Married off my oldest girl the first of June she was 24 All through school we kept them involved in sports I played both the part of Farther and Coach. And they both can be as ruff as any young man and I do thank God neither went the drug and booze road.
I thank I’ll give in and let her give it a shot it may just turn out to be fun having two divers in the family the wife was unable to overcome her panic when she tried a few years ago

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom